2 of 3
Bernachon Palet d’Or G?teau
Posted: 24 May 2010 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you everyone, all of the comments are so nice to read! Currants hold quite well frozen, perhaps because they are so small. They do become more fragile, and easier to burst, so you do need to handle them carefully. I’ve read that Marion blackberries also hold from frozen, but most other fruits do break down when thawed. Darm, I used tweezers to move the gold leaf to the currants. It wasn’t too hard, but I did ruin the first sheet because I accidentally touched it with my hand—it immediately clings to most anything it touches. For the slices, I don’t normally do this, but I sprayed the knife with cooking spray to slide through the glaze.

Posted: 24 May 2010 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Matthew ~ Now we know how you got the Baking Midas Touch!  Is this your favorite RHC Chocolate cake so far? By looks alone it would be mine.

Posted: 24 May 2010 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2007-11-21

Gasp - How incredibly beautiful. Your artistry is simply awe-inspiring; as always, I might add, but this is really over-the-top smile

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 25 May 2010 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you Joan! Darm, it felt incredibly decadent to wash gold off of my hands! I never thought I would be doing that. Had another piece tonight—so delicious—definitely in the top favs so far.

Posted: 25 May 2010 03:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Matthew - Really stunning!  It looks divine!

Posted: 26 May 2010 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Breathtaking Matthew. I agree with all who commented that it looks just like in the book. The picture is so perfect!
I miss out on the bake a long last weekend, but will probably make this one for the free choice weekend coming up.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 28 May 2010 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Absolutely breathtaking Matthew!  As always.  I love how you applied the gold leaf to the currents.  I’ve only seen them for sale here once, and it was in the middle of winter, so I appreciate knowing they freeze well.

Excellent, excellent job, my friend!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 28 May 2010 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks Patrinicia, Jenn, and Paul! Yes, grab up the currants when you can and freeze them. They are a rarity. I saw them for the first time in the winter this year too. Normally can only get them in July from a local berry farm. On another note, my oven broke last night! Feels so strange not to get to bake this weekend, as it is my weekend ritual, but perhaps will allow me to get to other neglected projects smile I hope I can get it fixed soon!

Posted: 28 May 2010 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh no… I hope it will be back in working order soon.  Or maybe you’d rather get a new one?  smile
Wish my fridge would stop working so I could get a freezer on the bottom model - a girl can dream can’t she?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 28 May 2010 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2009-05-14

Matthew, the cake is gorgeous. Everything looks perfect. I especially like the cut sliced picture showing the gold round board! It really shows off the gold on the top. Your pictures are drools-worthy.

Posted: 28 May 2010 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Oh no! I hope your oven is fixed soon. Maybe you can get baking at a friend’s house instead so as not to break your ritual? This happened to me last year when my oven broke a few days before I was going to host some friends for a nice dinner. The solution, I packed “my kitchen” plus ingredients and cook at my friend’s.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 28 May 2010 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Patricia - I have a bottom freezer fridge to give away, it’s waiting in the carport for you to pick it up - LOL!

Matthew - I had my oven break on Thanksgiving day. With the turkey in it. Feel lucky that it happened on a random other day. Oh, and beautiful cake!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 28 May 2010 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Good point—at least I don’t have anything I have to bake this weekend. Sounds horrible Silke! Appliance repair is coming Tuesday, so that isn’t too bad, I’ll just make it a kitchen-free weekend.

Posted: 28 May 2010 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

M, sorry to hear of your oven!  It’d be a great time to do a grill project, if you are set up for it.  I love pears on the grill, and pizza or focaccia, too.  smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 28 May 2010 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

OMG THAT IS SPECTACULAR!!!!!!

2 of 3

‹‹ Mini B-day cake      Baby Lemon Cheesecakes ››