why did the fondant bubble after i put in on the cake??????
Posted: 27 May 2010 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2010-05-21

HELLO, i made a cake and i put the frosting on, then i put the fondant on top, like i should , it looks smooth, but there are bubbles on it, is it the was i frosted underneath the fondant?
thanx

Posted: 27 May 2010 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2010-05-05

Hi Patricia,

Are the bubbles on top of the fondant (e.g. the top of the actual cake-the fondant that is exposed to the outside) or are the bubbles underneath the fondant (e.g. the part that has contact with the actual icing/cake)?  If it is under, then it might just be an issue of air bubbles that have not been smoothed out properly.  I’m assuming it is bubbling and not just lumpy which could indicate that the cake/icing surface was not smooth before the fondant was placed on it.  I’m curious to hear what other’s have to say.

Signature 

http://www.sugarcoatedbliss.com

Posted: 28 May 2010 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-21

Hi
thanx for the response, well it’s not bubbles it was more like bulges, i just couldn’t describe it, i was in a bit of a panic, and that is what i came up with lol, it was from underneath. I didn’t chill the cake before i put the fondant on, so maybe that was it, i was told not to put it in the fridge because of condensation, so i will give it a shot. also someone told me to use a pin to make a little hole to take the air out soooo….. until next time, we shall see, but if you have anymore suggestions that would be great!
thanx

Posted: 28 May 2010 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

In my experience, I’ve found it’s best to put fondant on a cold cake.  Make sure the buttercream coat is smooth and free of lumps or any uneven spots that could trap a small amount of air and cause a bubble as the cake comes to room temp (this is different than the filling layer bulging out because the cake is “settling”.

It is possible to refrigerate a fondant covered cake, you just have to take appropriate precautions and know that in humid weather, there will be condensation and it might be a lot, or it might be a little.  Last weekend, not one of my cakes had any condensation; but this weekend I will not be so lucky because there is no a/c in the kitchen and we’re due to hit 85 on Sunday.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 28 May 2010 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-21

thanx, the cake looked better after a couple of hours, i did take a pin and lightly poked a few holes where it was bulging, that actually worked. I have the cake in the fridge right now and hopefully it will be ok but ,what else can you do if you make your cake ahead of time?  or if you need to make a couple of cakes, i just hope the fondant holds up, i also have fondant roses on it….. it looks beautiful, lets just hope it stays that way lol.