Choco Pan
Posted: 25 February 2008 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-02-25

I just heard about Choco Pan, the alternative to rolled fondant, and I am wondering if anyone here has used it? Could you share the pros and cons of your experience using it, and if there is an advantage of Choco Pan vs. fondant? Thanks!

Posted: 28 February 2008 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2008-01-09

Sorry. I have not used it yet.  I hear it tastes beter than most fondants out in the market, but that it is a little harder to work with since it is made out of chocolate.  I’m sure with practice one can sort out the issues.

Posted: 29 February 2008 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-02-14

I’ve used Chocopan before.  It tastes like white chocolate, but I found it very difficult to work with.  It was extremely soft and greasy.  I had to use tons of cornstarch to work with it.  I prefer Satin Ice, it’s flavor and texture.  I want to try pettinice soon- I’ve only tried their gumpaste.

Good luck

Posted: 17 October 2009 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-03-04

I just got a sampling of Choco-Pan from the manufacturer. They are lovely people.  It tastes wonderful (the Blanc), but it is very sticky and hard to handle. I listened to Jeanne and ordered some Ivory Pettinice. I need the fondant to be easy to work with…the flavor, I’m sure won’t be as good as the Choco-Pan

Posted: 17 October 2009 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

I haven’t used ChocoPan, or even had some to try or play with.

I’m guessing it is similiar to chocolate plastique - a mixture of chocolate and corn syrup that is pliable and rollable.  Some bakers use this exclusively to cover their cakes with (Susan Morgan from Elegant Cheesecakes does; Mike McCarey uses it as well as fondant for covering cakes….)  My guess is that it won’t be as forgiving as fondant in terms of rolling it and reworking it; it may be the heat from your hands causing it to soften.

It helps to roll chocolate plastique on a stainless steel surface or a cool surface to minimize sticking; use a cornstarch “ghost” (a bouquet garni bag or a cheesecloth “sack” filled with cornstarch) to dust the table.  I find fondant gets harder to handle when I use confectioners sugar to dust the table with; it might also be true with chocopan but I don’t know.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 18 October 2009 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2009-03-04

Jeanne, Thank you for all your help. It’s getting down to the wire. I decided that it was more important to feel comfortable with the working of the fondant than going for the taste of the chocolate. I just ordered a 15 il. tub of Pettinice in Ivory from Jesters Cake Supply (Fondantsource.com) They have for first time buyers a 10% coupon. Upon check-out put in the promotion box “welcome”. The 15 lb. was 44.99 less 4.50, shipping was 11.71. I feel more confident as I have practiced with the fondant, than smoothing out the MBC “just so”. Patricia, you do such a good job of this!

Anyway, I hope I like the Ivory color.  I’ve been practicing my piping skills with Royal Icing all morning. Just doing Swiss dot pattern. I have aGranite surface in my kitchen. Does the corn starch have a funny taste when put to the Fondant?  You advise using it instead of confectioners sugar?

Thanks again…I’ll let you know my progress.