1 of 2
Plum and Blueberry Upside-Down Torte
Posted: 28 May 2010 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

I didn’t see any other post about this cake, perhaps because plums were out of season when the book came out and haven’t been in season since, so I figured I’d post my cake…

Plums still aren’t in season, but I found some very delicious apricots from the Frog Hollow Farm at the farmers market, better than any I’ve had in years. I could barely keep myself from eating them all just out of the bag, but I figured they deserved better and I had visitors coming. I also got local blueberries, very tasty as well. I’m no big fan of fruit cakes, especially apple cakes, but decided to give the upside-down torte a try.

Wanting to keep it somewhat healthy I decided to go with 1/2 white whole wheat and 1/2 pastry flour. Rather than a 10” cake I made 2/3rd of the recipe in an 8” pan. It came together very easy. The caramel hardened completely in the bottom of the pan. I only have a 8” x 3” pan, so the cake only came up to 2/3rds of the side of the pan. Normally that’s no problem at all, I just invert it onto a cake round or a plate that fits into it. Well, this time it was a problem as there was a lot of juice at the bottom of the pan, fruit juice mixed with caramel, which poured all over me when I inverted the pan. No real problem, it just required that I hosed myself and the kitchen down. The cake came out nicely, with the exception of some of the caramel which was still hardened at the bottom of the pan.

To serve I made some caramel sauce, poured some of it over the cake and some into whipping cream for a caramel whipped cream.

Making a long story short - it was super delicious. There was a pause after everybody had the first forkful, and three of us looked up and released a “hmmmmm” in unison. The apricots certainly did their part, but the cake and the caramel was just as good.

I’ll certainly make it again, though I’ll probably use raspberries or blackberries next time instead of the blueberries.

Image Attachments
P1000900.jpgP1000901.jpgP1000908.jpg
 Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 28 May 2010 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Silke,
It looks beautiful. The ‘nutty’ flavor of the WWF pairs well with fruit. I got quite a chuckle out of the idea that a smidge of WWF covered in caramel and cream was a healthy alternative. grin

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 28 May 2010 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Silke, I’ve been wanting to try this cake, I’m so glad you posted!  It looks just perfect, and I love apricots.  I’m so happy fresh seasonal fruits are just about here.

Gene, you’re too funny!  But there was the fruit, too…

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 28 May 2010 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks both of you! I’d also say that on the spectrum of cakes this one is on the healthier side… There really isn’t that much caramel in it, and I didn’t cover it with caramel, just drizzled some more on to make up for what I lost in the pan. Ok, and then there was some in the cream, but there would have been sugar anyways grin (I know, excuses, excuses…) The white whole wheat doesn’t taste very whole wheaty, anyways. But everything was infused by the flavors of the apricot and the blueberries…. Ohhhhh…..

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2010 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Ooo.. how pretty!! I’m so glad you posted the pics. I love the colors, the purple and the yellow orange apricots.
Love the description of you and your friends pausing and going hmmm..

Like Julie I was also wondering how this would taste - I’ve only made the apple version. Will have to give it a try once apricots/berries are in season.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 28 May 2010 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Those pictures are so good I thought I could lick the juice off the screen!!  I must try this recipe soon. tongue rolleye

Posted: 28 May 2010 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Jenn and Jeannette - thanks! I licking the juice off me and the countertop after my little accident…. It’s really good, but I think it’s very dependent on the quality of the fruit, so go find the best you can get.

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2010 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Looks scrumdelicious!  OMG, it does!

Posted: 28 May 2010 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Looks very delicious! If you have some more apricots, you should try the apricot pie in the pie bible. It has been on my to do list for a while, so I can’t recommend it from experience, but I’ve always thought the photo in the book looks very tempting. It pairs raspberries with apricots as you mentioned above.

Posted: 28 May 2010 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks Anne and Matthew! I don’t have a Pie and Pastry Bible, mostly because I’m not hot on either…

We just polished off the leftovers, and it was still delicious. It’s better at room temp, though.

Signature 

Posted: 28 May 2010 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Silke,
That looks so good! Visually it makes my mouth water.

Posted: 28 May 2010 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Wow! Silke. It looks so delicious. I love the first picture.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 May 2010 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Your torte looks absolutely delicious! I’m in the Bay Area as well, guess I need to make some time to get to the Ferry Building to the Frog Hollow stand! Can’t wait until their peaches are ready…

Posted: 29 May 2010 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks everybody!

Loopy, isn’t it amazing how good their fruit is? In Santa Cruz they hand out samples, and everybody who tries them buys them. The other farms sometimes can keep up but mostly are left in the dust. I wonder what they do differently.

Signature 

Posted: 03 June 2010 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

I baked this cake over the long weekend, it was delicious but I didn’t get a pic (oops).  Just wanted to post two notes. 

First, this cake improves on day two, so make it ahead whenever possible. 

Second, use fruit with the skin still on, skin facing up (away from the bottom of the pan).  I always wondered if the blueberries would stain the entire top of the cake dark purple.  It turns out you need a fruit skin to protect from staining (like Silke’s pretty apricots), so any fruit cut in half and arranged so that the skin faces the bluberries will do the trick.  Slices of fruit do get stained and sort of funky-looking (the voice of experience).

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 03 June 2010 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25
Julie - 03 June 2010 06:32 PM

First, this cake improves on day two, so make it ahead whenever possible.

So how do you ensure the cake doesn’t get eaten on day 0 and 1???

Signature 

1 of 2

‹‹ Napoleons      Graduation cake ››