Chiffon Cake rises too high (I think)
Posted: 30 May 2010 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-10-09

Hello all

I’ve made Rose’s chiffon cakes three times now and in each instance the cake rises really high about two inches above the edge of the pan, or maybe even a bit taller, like a souffle.  I invert the pan immediately on a bottle as she demonstrates in her videos and let it cool. 

the cake shrinks flush with the to of the pan.  Its also hard to get the cake out of the pan without shredding off the soft brown crust that you seen in Rose’s video.

Can anyone tell me if this is what is supposed to happen?

The cakes have been good.  In one instance just a bit rubbery perhaps, but really barely detectable.

Posted: 31 May 2010 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

It’s been a while since I’ve made this, I do remember it rising above the pan and shrinking, but 2” seems like a lot. 

A few thoughts:

Have you checked the capacity of your pan by pouring water into it?

Are you weighing egg whites?  At least where I live, whites have gotten bigger and often I need to take some out to make the weight come out right.  I often find that extra large eggs work well for chiffon, because the whites are so large that you don’t need additional whites, and so don’t end up with leftover yolks.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 31 May 2010 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2010-05-30

Julie, that’s a great idea for not wasting whites. Right now, I have 24 extra yolks….that’s a lot of creme brulee.

Posted: 31 May 2010 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-10-09

Thanks for the response.

I thought the volume of the egg whites was suspicious.  I weighed them in my latest attempt and the cake height was a little more reasonable and remained slightly rounded when cooled as does Rose’s in her video.  However that can’t have been the problem since I used the same number of individual egg whites. I think the problem with the first few attempts was not that there were too much egg whites but that they may have been slightly over beaten.  There volume was really enormous nearly filling the bowl of my standing mixer.  For the latest attempt I stopped beating sooner, the volume was decreased and the cake seemed to be less souffle like.

Posted: 31 May 2010 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3127
Joined  2010-04-25

Oooh, if you have leftover yolks, make some gateau bretons!  They’re quick and easy, freeze marvellously, and anyone who like either pound cake or shortbread will go crazy for them!!!!

You could knock out several of them and then have them for gifts or last minute desserts/snacks.

The GB is amazingly delicious.  Definately one of those things that’s more than the sum of it’s parts!

Posted: 02 June 2010 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

To keep the sides nice, use an icing spatula and insert it vertically and upwards many times and close to the last insertion; rather then running it horizontally as one would with a knife.  Press the icing spatula firmly against the side of he pan.  It still won’t be perfect as chiffon cakes always should look roughed on the edges!  But this is how has been done for the book photo!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/