Graduation cake
Posted: 30 May 2010 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

When my sister-in-law needed a cake for her son’s graduation, I volunteered to make it.  I really just wanted an excuse to try my hand at a 3-tier cake.  I think it came out pretty good, and it tasted divine.  The top tier is the miette’s tomboy chocolate cake w/ chocolate mousseline; the middle tier is Cordon Rose Banana cake w/ chocolate, and the bottom tier is Golden Yellow cake from TCB filled w/ strawberry mousseline.  Ganache w/ 60% cocoa on all the tiers.  Fondant decorations—I really need to roll them thinner, but they seem so thin while I’m doing it. 

My brother-in-law, who is a professional photographer took some photos, but this is my own photo.

Image Attachments
Graduation cake 008_edited-3.jpg

Posted: 30 May 2010 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

OMG, JD, that cake is a beautiful celebration in itself!

I don’t know how I could choose a slice.  I’d have to keep sneaking by the table until I’d had all three layers!

Posted: 30 May 2010 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2010-05-30

How ambitious to do all of those flavors! Yum.

Posted: 30 May 2010 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-05-16

Wow JD,
  it looks so amazing! and more importantly it looks delicous! Did everyone have a favorite out of all the flavors?......Shirin

Posted: 31 May 2010 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2010-05-05

Wow, you did a fantastic job!  What a great variety of cake types/flavours. 
Was this your very first tiered cake?

Signature 

http://www.sugarcoatedbliss.com

Posted: 31 May 2010 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Really a wonderful cake, JD!  I love all the different flavors and how well they all work with the single outer frosting.  What’ll be next, a wedding cake?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 31 May 2010 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

Thanks for the nice comments!  The three cake flavors came about by accident more than by design.  At first, the whole thing was going to be the yellow cake because TCB had an all-inclusive recipe for 3 tiers (12/9/and 6) and I’m not confident about my ability to reconfigure a recipe for my pan sizes.  But then, I had a whole bunch of brown bananas and I LOVE the Cordon Rose banana cake.  So, that became the 9 inch layer.  That left a problem of what to do with the 6” layer and the only recipe in either book for a 6” pan was the Miette’s Tomboy cake.  I’d previously made it twice with a 6x3 pan, but the recipe said it could be done in 2 6x2” layers so that’s what I did.  The 12” actually proved the most difficult to bake.  It was my first time ever baking this size cake layers and I had trouble fitting both pans in my 30” oven.  I did it on 2 racks and the top layer ended up rising as high as the heating element, which meant the crust peeled off as I removed the pan from the oven. 

In choosing the flavors for the three fillings, I had in mind neopolitan ice cream, but I was afraid I’d run out of mousseline before decorating the cake so the top layer ended up being filled with chocolate, which I had plenty of, instead of vanilla.  I’m very resourceful, so I made the chocolate filling by mixing some of the ganache (which I also had plenty of) into the mousselline.  One little girl said it was “too chocolaty” but she was only about 5 years old.  Several adults tried all three flavors and the cake was a huge success. 

Yes, this was my first 3-tier cake, but I won’t bore you with the part about the dog eating half of one of the 12” layers the night before the party…

Posted: 31 May 2010 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Wow, quite ambitious, three different cakes in one. And I love the decoration, I think the thick fondant is quite nice, gives it a nice 3-D effect. I’m sure it was a happy graduate!

And no, you’re not boring us with the story about the dog - tell all!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 31 May 2010 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

A dog, too??

You need to write a screwball comedy starring this cake!  The male/female lead should be Rock Hudson & Doris Day or Cary Grant & Ann Sheridan (the Oomph Girl).

Posted: 01 June 2010 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

I love the background story on how this cake came to be! It also gives me confidence to know that even with numerous mishaps and unplanned events (especially the part about the top crust getting scraped off, OMG!), the finished cake can still turn out beautiful and delicious, with no one the wiser. Teaches me to not get discouraged when something goes a little awry when on a baking project, just use my head and forge onward… It is true that baking is a science and that Rose’s recipes are very precise, but there is lots of room for the unexpected, given a little creativity and know-how!