RHC ~ Banana Refrigerator Cake with Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting
Posted: 03 June 2010 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Hello Fellow Bakers,
I made the entire batter in the food processor, so easy. ~ The cake looked and tasted great!  I can see why it is a favorite of so many.

Image Attachments
IMG_2332.jpgIMG_2337.jpg

Posted: 03 June 2010 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

That’s pretty daring of you, Dar! I was tempted to do so but then was afraid it was going to spill out of the hole in the middle, where the knife is attached… I thought that I’ll just take the handheld blender next time to cut up the bananas, and do the rest in the Kitchen Aid, also to minimize the dishes.

It tastes sooooo good, I had friends over on day 2 and the second half of the cake was gone in minutes. One of them was all excited as that used to be what his mom would make as a birthday cake for him!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 03 June 2010 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

It is a delicious cake!  I’ve made it twice in the last week (one to give away, then I had to make one for myself).  On the second one, I pulled it out of the oven at about 33 minutes because the sides were beginning to pull away from the edge of the pan and I was afraid it was overbaking.  But the middle was gummy and underbaked, and fell as it cooled. (I ended up cutting a circle out of the middle and it was fine!)  Any ideas why this would happen?  Oven too hot?  I thought i was monitoring the temp pretty carefully on the thermometer but who knows…otherwise it rose beautifully to the top of the pan, flat as a pancake thanks to the cake strips.

Posted: 04 June 2010 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-20

Darlene, the dare devil. lol. Silke, I think that changing ingredients and having the cake turn out is a lot trickier than using a food processor. Now, That is daring! You will have to surprise your friend with this cake on his birthday. I gave the other 7 inch cake to the neighbors, they loved it too.
Loopy, Sorry that your cake fell. It doesn’t sound like your oven is off if you are monitoring the temp carefully. In the past I have found that either beating the batter too much or too little has structural consequences. Adding ingredients out of order, the same.  Hopefully some of the experts will weigh in on this issue.
As you say it is a delicious cake, third times a charm?

Posted: 04 June 2010 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, that looks yummy.  I must say, that pic of the frosting truly puts the dreamy into it!  Major yum!!!!

Posted: 04 June 2010 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Loopy, if you’re cake is falling a little, and you’re thinking that it’s oven temp, it’s a sign of underbaking, either by time or temp. 

Other possible factors:  Did you use cake flour?

You didn’t reverse the amounts for baking powder and soda, did you?

Added by later edit:  Maybe your problem is an overly-hot oven, after all.  Here’s my thinking- if you’re removing the cake when it shrinks from the sides, rather than leaving it in until the center tests done, then your hot oven is leading you to underbake the center.  Try lowering the temp by 25F and testing the center before you remove it.  An instant read thermometer is perfect for that (toothpick works, too), I use mine more and more.  Most non-sponge cakes need to be around 200F in the middle of the center.  I usually bake sponge-type cakes (including the new deep choc passion) to a lower temp, around 190F.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 04 June 2010 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Darlene, your cake looks just great.  That is the smoothest rendition of this frosting I’ve seen!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 04 June 2010 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-20

Anne in NC ~ Thanks for the kind remarks.  Love your avatar!
Loopy ~ I think that Julie has helped me out too with the advice to reduce the oven temp. I recently baked Rose’s Cradle Cake and the dome fell to level when it cooled. I forgot to lower
the oven temp when using a dark cake pan. So thanks to Julie for her advice.
Julie ~  Thanks for the compliment, and many thanks for your suggestion above.

Posted: 04 June 2010 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

I LOVE that picture of the frosting! Thank you for the info re the food processor. I would never have dared do it. The next time I make it, I’ll give it a try. I made this cake only two days ago.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 June 2010 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

Well, Rozanne, your avatar cake is also so gorgeous, I had to visit your site!!!  My goodness, your pistachio cake was pretty!  How did you get that lovely design on the top of it?  Sorry they ate it cold…...infidels!  Enjoyed reading about your whoopie pies, too—great idea to put buttercream in them!  You have renewed my interest in that recipe!  Lovely blog!

Posted: 04 June 2010 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Beautiful cake Darm. The picture of the frosting is mouth watering!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 June 2010 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Glad you liked it, I really like this cake too. I’ve made it twice now. Beautiful swirls smile

Posted: 04 June 2010 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18
Anne in NC - 04 June 2010 09:19 PM

Well, Rozanne, your avatar cake is also so gorgeous, I had to visit your site!!!  My goodness, your pistachio cake was pretty!  How did you get that lovely design on the top of it?  Sorry they ate it cold…...infidels!  Enjoyed reading about your whoopie pies, too—great idea to put buttercream in them!  You have renewed my interest in that recipe!  Lovely blog!

Thank you Anne. You are very kind   red face

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 June 2010 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Darm and Julie, thanks much for your troubleshooting on my banana cake…didn’t mean to hijack your thread Darm!  I was using my bottom oven to bake, which I almost never do, so the temperature certainly could be suspect (thermometer off to the side)...as could undermixing…  Methinks next time I will stick to my trusty upper oven, too!!  Excited to try this cake next time with creme fraiche rather than sour cream (finally found some cf at the neighboring whole foods…not all locations carry it…they also have organic coconut extract, FYI!).

Posted: 05 June 2010 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-20

Rozanne, Give the processor a try. I didn’t have any leaks. See what you think.
Jenn, I appreciate your comment, thank you so much.
Matthew, I remember that this was one of your favorite cakes! How is the oven coming along?
Loopy, I love a good question and answer session. That’s why we post. The rest is gravy….I mean icing on the cake. wink