Disposable Baking Baskets
Posted: 04 June 2010 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1355
Joined  2008-09-27

I mistakenly ordered this

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=13081&manufacid=653

thinking that it was bread loaf sized, but it’s very tiny.  Has anyone tried such a thing for cupcakes?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 04 June 2010 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I haven’t seen them before, but they look like they’d be great for gifts.  They look about the right size for financiers- maybe the cocoa nib ones?  Please take a pic of what you make with them.  smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 04 June 2010 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I think pound cake would work well too—perhaps one of the mini ones from the new book. The vanilla bean one is very good.

Posted: 05 June 2010 02:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Those are very cool. I searched on Panibois and found Technobake. They sell many sizes of these things. Have you baked in them before?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 05 June 2010 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 04 June 2010 10:31 PM

Please take a pic of what you make with them.  smile

Well, no promises.  None of my stuff is ever as pretty as the stuff you people make.  :-(

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 05 June 2010 02:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Matthew - 05 June 2010 12:05 AM

I think pound cake would work well too—perhaps one of the mini ones from the new book. The vanilla bean one is very good.

I don’t find pound cake very popular at work.  Of course they LIKE pound cake, but it doesn’t pull them across the room like chocolate does, so it just sits there.  That said, the Golden Almond Grand Marnier cake seems to have been everyone’s’ favorite.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 05 June 2010 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Gene - 05 June 2010 05:00 AM

Have you baked in them before?

Nope.  I was going to try them out by baking a bread loaf to give to some friends and thought getting 20 of them for $15 was a good buy.  The size was printed next to the picture, but the picture LOOKED shaped like a full-size load pan, so I never thought to even check the size.  It might actually do well for a cake; surely the wooden pieces don’t get as hot as metal.  Might act like a built-in cake strip.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 05 June 2010 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

There’s always the chocolate pound cake with Kahlua syrup and mini chocolate chips.

Posted: 05 June 2010 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

...but it doesn’t pull them across the room like chocolate does, so it just sits there.

I have noticed this same annoying tendency.  I have personally banned chocolate cakes for work unless it’s for someone’s birthday. All non-birthday cakes must meet the following requirements (A) not chocolate (unless it’s white) and (B) it must have nuts (unless I know someone in the applicable group is allergic.  Otherwise, I’d never make anything but chocolate cakes!!!  Not that I don’t love them, too, but there’s so much else that’s delicous and beautiful!  For a training meeting I have on Wednesday, I asked the girls to pick from a list of 4 or 5 RHCs, the they were all quite enthusiastic about the Apple Cinnamon Crumb Coffe Cake.

One thing I’ve noted about Rose’s cakes (“oh, no, she’s saying it again” they sigh) is (1) I can bake them all in small loaf pans and (2) (okay, two thing’s I’ve noticed, then…) they’re all great unsyruped and unfrosted.  I always make a little extra batter and bake it in little bread pans to have plain, unadorned slices for the freezer and snacking, and they are just unspeakably delicous (and cute—and they make that wonderful soft top crust concentration, which I can’t really explain, but is so heavenly on bread-shapead cakes).

So, all that is the long way of saying you can pick anything!  And if you pick chocolate, the Devil’s Food Cake is really awesome!

Posted: 05 June 2010 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16
CharlesT - 05 June 2010 05:27 AM

I don’t find pound cake very popular at work.  Of course they LIKE pound cake, but it doesn’t pull them across the room like chocolate does, so it just sits there

There’s also the barcelona brownies.  smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 05 June 2010 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

I agree - mini pound cakes in the little wooden French baskets - ‘tres chic’ for little gifts and/favors.. smile

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com