can i use the hershey’s chipits for chocolate ganache?
Posted: 06 June 2010 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2010-05-21

Hi there, just want to know if i can use the milk chocolate or the white chocolate chipits for ganache, i really like the taste of them and so do my kids, also can i use the white chocolate chipits for the ganache and the white chocolate cakes???
it doesn’t state the % of cocoa butter.

Posted: 06 June 2010 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27
patricia123 - 06 June 2010 07:15 PM

Hi there, just want to know if i can use the milk chocolate or the white chocolate chipits for ganache, i really like the taste of them and so do my kids, also can i use the white chocolate chipits for the ganache and the white chocolate cakes???
it doesn’t state the % of cocoa butter.

I haven’t used this product, but “white chocolate” chips of any kind usually aren’t white chocolate at all.  You should use real white chocolate anywhere the Rose calls for white chocolate.  You will probably have to buy a bar, rather than chips; even so, verify that it contains cocoa butter.  If it’s expensive, it’s probably fine.  wink

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 06 June 2010 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-21

it does say that it contains cocoa butter but not the % and the other bar i bought said it’s 100% pure but it’s semi sweet and i like milk chocolate…. but maybe the milk chocolate might be too sweet, i might mix it together and see what happens.
thanx

Posted: 06 June 2010 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
patricia123 - 07 June 2010 12:07 AM

it does say that it contains cocoa butter but not the % and the other bar i bought said it’s 100% pure but it’s semi sweet and i like milk chocolate…. but maybe the milk chocolate might be too sweet, i might mix it together and see what happens.
thanx

A potential problem with ‘chips’ is that they are generally formulated NOT to melt in baking products.  This is the exact opposite of what you want when making a ganache.  I’m pretty sure the Rose recommends against using them for this purpose.  Perhaps the fat is a mixture of cocoa butter and some sort of shortening with a higher melting point.  Anyway, this is not to say that you can’t make it work, but it may not perform the same way as baking chocolate.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 06 June 2010 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-21

yes i think your right,
thanx

Posted: 07 June 2010 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes to everything Charles said.  smile

If you would like to make a ganache that is sweeter or has the flavor of milk chocolate, use the chocolate specified in the recipe, then you can add sugar to the hot cream.  I find that Callebaut bulk dark chocolate (my grocery sells it in the cheese section) gives a milder, more milk-chocolate flavor ganache.  The other thing you can do is substitute a tablespoon or two of whole milk for the same amount of cream in the ganache.  It will mellow (some might say dull) the chocolate flavor and give you something closer to the taste of milk chocolate.  I wouldn’t use very much, though, or you will loose the beautiful chocolate-cream flavor of the ganache. 

All that said, if you want to try the dark chocolate chipits, you can make a little bit of ganache by melting a small amount with a little cream in the microwave (short bursts), cool, and see how it tastes and what the texture is like.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 07 June 2010 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-21

thanks , i am not going to use the chipits i just had them and thought, maybe,? but i will make chocolate chip cookies for my kids instead

Posted: 10 June 2010 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-06-03

Would Ghirardelli’s new Chocolate Candy Making & Dipping Wafers work for ganache?  Even though they’re wafers, these are supposed to be replacements for the now discontinued Chocolate Candy Making & Dipping Bars which I’ve used in the past for ganache.

Signature 

Between the Pages
Where pop culture and food meet
http://betweenthepagesblog.typepad.com/

Posted: 10 June 2010 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25
Julie - 07 June 2010 02:42 PM

....Callebaut bulk dark chocolate (my grocery sells it in the cheese section)...

Thanks for this great tip, Julie!  I never thought of looking in the cheese section for other chocolates!

Posted: 10 June 2010 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Between The Pages - 11 June 2010 12:47 AM

Would Ghirardelli’s new Chocolate Candy Making & Dipping Wafers work for ganache?  Even though they’re wafers, these are supposed to be replacements for the now discontinued Chocolate Candy Making & Dipping Bars which I’ve used in the past for ganache.

Possibly…the shape doesn’t always communicate the purpose of the chocolate.  I purchase bulk Callebaut chocolate shaped into “callets”, which are nothing more than chocolate chips, but they are formulated to be melted for various purposes.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach