2 of 2
Making my own wedding cakes…timing help, advice?
Posted: 28 February 2008 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2008-01-09

I’m not sure if this was brought up already, but regarding the refridgeration of the cake, I wonder if the hotel would be kind enough to let you store you finished cake in the fridges?  Maybe you can ask and see if they will.  They can then take it to the presentation table on the time youu specify.

Posted: 06 March 2008 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-02-26

Hi ladies!
Okay, this weekend I tested out the white and chocolate butter cakes -and-  mousseline buttercream (yum!), regular buttercream, and chocolate ganache (double yum!)  -and-  the chocolate fondant (omg!  It’s turns your cake into a chocolate bar!)  Death by chocolate, indeed!

So, now I’m trying to figure out my cake display.  I have a cake stand that is loverly and old-fashioned looking, but it’s square and I kind of like how it looks with a round cake on it.  The stand also has sides that slope upwards slightly, which makes a space underneath the cake and at the corners.  (see attachment)  How do I fill the space on the bottom so that I don’t have a cake that ends up not level?
-
amy

Image Attachments
IMG_0339.JPG

Posted: 07 March 2008 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-26

Gotcha.  I’ll try that.  Good idea on the non-slip grippy stuff.  I didn’t even think of that.

The other problem here is that the stiffness of the cake round that the first tier sits on will make a space at the corners where the cake stand slopes down into the center.  Should I just flood that space with icing when I do the piping around the bottom edge?

Amy

Posted: 15 April 2008 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-26

Hi Jeannette!

Sorry it took so long to reply—I’ve been moving to our new home (well, a rental) and now the wedding is this weekend and I’m furiously making all my stuff.  I’ll be baking the cakes tomorrow for the bigger cake.  The fruitcake turned out fabulous!  I’m covering it with marzipan just this afternoon!  grin  I’m trying to remember what (if anything) I’m going to need to adhere the marzipan to the fruitcake…I think it’s apricot jam but I forgot to pick some up and I’m living out in the sticks now, so nothing is close…

I’ll definitely be posting a few pictures.  Hopefully everything will turn out pretty….even if it’s not perfect (because it won’t be!)  grin

Amy

2 of 2