2 of 4
My first pics!  Apple Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake (RHC)!
Posted: 11 June 2010 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

hah its always funny when people are like “i dont really like nuts” (or whatever ingredient) and then they LOVE whatever you made that has that item in it!!

Posted: 11 June 2010 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Yes, and those “no nutters” really drive me crazy, because I want to shove nuts in EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Posted: 11 June 2010 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Try living in California. Here, nobody but my German friends seem to eat any regular diet. It’s either vegan, or vegetarian, or no beef, or no lamb, or no chicken, or no carbs. One of my Swiss friends won’t eat sourdough bread. Of course only if I tell him it’s sourdough, when I tell him it’s yeast he happily eats it and tells me how good it it.

Good gripes. When I’m at home I follow my rules, I only eat “happy” meat, and I won’t touch fish unless it’s on Monterey’s Aquariums “recommended” list, and it’s pretty much all whole wheat flour. But when I’m invited somewhere I have a strict don’t ask policy. I’m grateful that people invite me period.

Sorry for the rant…. Somehow the nuts triggered it!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 11 June 2010 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Silke! 

I totally agree with your rant and your policies food policies—I always get all organic dairy, too, for the hopefully happier animals.

If someone has an actual allergy or intolerance or whatever, I can totally sympathize and accomodate.  But everyone’s picky problems— ***aargh ***

However, for my IT group I belong to, if I make brownies, I DO make a little parchment partition and put nuts in half and none in the other.  But only becuase one of those no nutters is always so amazingly helpful!!!

Also the maddening chocolate cake phenomena.  Everyone wants a chocolate cake!!!  I love chocolate cake, but there’s so much other great stuff out there.  If it’s their B-day, I’ll do chocolate, but for any non-b’day, I observe a strick no chocolate policy!  I’ve ranted this elsewhere, so apologies to those who are rolling their eyes….

Posted: 12 June 2010 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

No-nutters… grin

I’m ok with vegetarians and will either have vegetarian only side dishes (i.e. Thanksgiving), or just cook a vegetarian meal. Oh, and no tofurkey or nonsense like that. Everybody else has to eat what’s on the table. Tough.

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 12 June 2010 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25
Silke - 12 June 2010 07:50 PM

Oh, and no tofurkey or nonsense like that.

OMG!  I hate all that fake meat tofu stuff!!!! 

Not that anyone else out there can’t love it if you want to, of course!  I know it’s quite popular

Posted: 12 June 2010 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
Anne in NC - 10 June 2010 06:08 PM

Thanks, CRenee!

Missyjean—I get random editions of CI, although one woman at work is now bringnig me her issues when she’s done with them.  I thought they were the last word until Rose.  Now I’m a complete Rose junky.  When I mentioned I was making this cake, one person asked, “Oh the one from [whatever book],” and I’m like, “Are you kidding?  It’s all Rose all the time!”  But I know CI is great and they do a great job. I made their crumb cake from their holiday baking, and it was great.  I thought of running the crumbles through my juicer (which is also an extruder like a pasta maker) and cooking them as little nubbins or twigs to munch on.

I have reduced my enthusiasm for CI too.  I was very turned-off by the way the crisp came out.  IMO, the fruit in crisps need some thickener. Some things I make are great and some flat-out aren’t. Their baking book cannot hold a candle to Rose’s.  I don’t even want to try to make a baking recipe because I can tell from their ingredients it will not be what my husband likes.

I do like King Arthur’s whole grain cookbook. Crust and Crumb has my all-time favorite banana bread master recipe. 

I applied the instructions I learned from Rose’s book when I made Crust and Crumb’s banana bread yesterday and it was the best result I ever had.

However, I substituted 6 oz of whole wheat flour for the same amount of unbleached flour and it was great.

What helped me the most from Roses’ book is that I did not fill the loaf pan as much as I usually do and a much lighter crumb resulted

Posted: 12 June 2010 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Silke - 11 June 2010 10:48 PM

Try living in California. Here, nobody but my German friends seem to eat any regular diet. It’s either vegan, or vegetarian, or no beef, or no lamb, or no chicken, or no carbs. One of my Swiss friends won’t eat sourdough bread. Of course only if I tell him it’s sourdough, when I tell him it’s yeast he happily eats it and tells me how good it it.

Good gripes. When I’m at home I follow my rules, I only eat “happy” meat, and I won’t touch fish unless it’s on Monterey’s Aquariums “recommended” list, and it’s pretty much all whole wheat flour. But when I’m invited somewhere I have a strict don’t ask policy. I’m grateful that people invite me period.

Sorry for the rant…. Somehow the nuts triggered it!

What is happy meat?

Posted: 12 June 2010 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Missyjean!

Happy Meat is meat from animals that at least have a decent life until we eat them—or, since it’s hard to tell with comanies, at least there’s a 50/50 chance of it when you buy with someone who at least claims organic/grass fed, whatever, whereas with regular meat, I’d say there’s much less than a 50% chance the animal lived decently.

I’d always thought CI was the best you could do—you know, all their extensive why we do this and that, etc.  Luckily, the few things I’d made came out, but there’s nothing like Rose’s recipes! The crumbles on the CI crumb cake are nothing like the crumbles on this apple crumb cake!

I love KA’s flours—when I use unbleached all purpose or whole wheat, I always use theirs, so I’m sure their cookbook is great.  I’ve never seen it myself, but boy, do I love banana bread!  I’m glad your came out so yummy!!!

Posted: 12 June 2010 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

I really like the idea of Happy Meat.  After seeing Food Inc, my husband has come on board with me about animal abuse/cruelty.  I only eat very small amounts of meat for health purposes. My husband, however, feels a meal is not a meal without meat.  As a child, his family raised their own meat and even called his burgers “Larry burgers”...that is something I could not do.

I am glad to see my local stores are carrying more organic meats. 

I make my pugs boiled chicken but since seeing Food Inc, I have personally boycotted Tysons and changed to a local poultry distributor.

Anne, I am on board with you about Rose. Although I haven’t made any of her recipes yet, her advice was a huge help to me.

I plan on making the quick breads in Rose’s Bread Bible.  The one with the crumbs and apple filling will be the first thing I make.

As a new baker, I have been concentrating on quick breads.  The response I am getting from people is amazing and has promoted this new interest in me.

I am so glad I found this forum and Rose’s books..which, by the way, was highly recommended on Chef Talk, a forum run by professional chefs. They reviewed RHC as the number 1 baking book. That is how I learned about Rose.

Posted: 13 June 2010 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Pugs!!!! 

There is a woman at my work (this is the one whose fresh veggies I subscribe to) who has pugs, and she just loves those little monsters.  There’s Pugsley (and I have never seen a dog who truly believed he was King of the World before Pugsley) and there’s Nacho (known as “The Cheese”).  I imagine that your pugs are also the light of your life!!!

The woman at work that I get my eggs from said the same thing as you re chicken & Food, Inc.  I didn’t see it because I “overlearned” some of that stuff and got a little extreme in my eating habits.  I have happily reached a more moderate view since then!

I’m glad you’re enjoying The Bread Bible’s quick breads!  I don’t have that book, but I sure do love me a quick bread!!!!  I got RHC because I was looking for a book on cakes only, found it on Amazon and was blown away by the pics—although it was very hard to get Amazon to generate pages with pics.  There were two in particular—one that compared the pictured cake with a prior cake and discussed how the use of almonds rather than flour changed the texture.  That sold me.  I’d never heard of Rose before this past January!!!

Welcome to baking.  Rose’s books have made it so easy and so fun, I think, in a large part, because you never have to worry if a recipe will work or not!!

Posted: 13 June 2010 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Pugs are like children who never grow up.  I have 2 right now. I have volunteered for a pug rescue and am a member of a pug club. I was planning to show Missy but we spayed her instead.  Her dad is an American and Canadian champion.  Mandy is a pet quality but we are going to breed her with a show dog and hope to upgrade the puppies.  I will be keeping one of her puppies. 

My breeder has 15 adult pugs and always has a litter of puppies. 

My girls, Missy and Mandy

What do you mean you were extreme in your eating?

The Bread Bible is a great book. I have, as Rose describes it, a fear of yeast but I will eventually get there.

I never even thought of baking until my last birthday. My husband asked what I wanted and I said I wanted a stand mixer.  He loves baked good so I thought I would get into it for him. It is hard to bake without tasting and that is what led me to my interest in baking. 

The local college offers a class on baking and pastry making. I was considering it. Upon completion you are awarded a certificate which allows you to work in restaurants, etc. Reading Roses’ books is like a mini-college without leaving your house wink

Posted: 13 June 2010 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Those are some seriously cute pugs, Missyjean!

Re eating, I grew up on a LOT of processed food, but I was always interested in health.  I figured your body exists on what it takes in—air, water and food.  It’s impossible to control your air and water, so I figured the only real contribution I could make was with respect to what I ate.  Essentially, I became the kind of person that drives me a bit crazy now!  I woldn’t eat anything refined, and for a good while, I was a raw foodist.  The more I learnd the more ridiculous it got—fruits and veggies are good for you!  No, fruit has too much sugar, and veggies must be juiced.  But you get more nutrition from some veggies cooked.  But maybe you’re not supposed to get that nutrient in those quantities.  Nuts are good for you. If nuts were supposed to be eaten, they wouldn’t have enzyme inhibitors in them or be difficult to get at.  Grains have important nutrients and fiber.  Grains are killing people.  I mean, it’s crazy, and I didn’t see any real benefit, and then my hub nearly died, and I realized how all of this denial didn’t really make life more pleasant and that moderation and happiness were more imortant than our vague ideas of nutriittion.  I still cook all of our meals and don’t eat many processed foods (mostly ingredients like golden syrup and stuff like that in baking, and of course, my beloved cake flour), but I certainly will eat a cake made by a friend at work who I know uses boxed mixes.  If someone brings donuts for my birthday—hell, yeah, I’ll havea one.  My idea now is to simply be happy and enjoy life, while being moderate in the things that are obviouly not a great idea.

Fear of yeast—is that fear it won’t rise?  If so, dive in! Just do a one loaf batch.  I don’t eat much bread now, but I used to, and I made all my own bread by hand.  I remember my first loaf.  It rose!!!!!!  So will yours!  Remember, the water should be like the temp you look for when you put milk for a baby on your inside wrist.

Posted: 13 June 2010 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

grin  Thank you!

It sounds as though we are very similar when it comes to nutrition.  I was the same way but have lightened up a little in the past year.

I try to do what I can to prevent disease but there a lot of contradictory beliefs, and the scientific community is constantly revising their opinions. I feel everyone has to be responsible for their own health and not rely on their doctors. Most doctors are uninformed when it comes to nutrition as preventative medicine.

My husband is teaching me how to relax. I am a city girl (NYC) and he is a mountain man with a very relaxed attitude.  I am learning a lot from him and I am lucky to get the opportunity to take this new journey (we lived on opposite sides of the country but married after 9/11)

Posted: 13 June 2010 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Missy!  My recommendation:  Listen to your husband!

My husband was the healthiest eater, exercised every single day, had perfect numbers on ALL of his tests, had very low total cholesterol, had low blood pressure (not clinicly low, just low)—and he still had a heart attack at 50 and had a 5-way bypass.  Happiness, moderation and pleasant relaxation could possibly be even more important than anything else!

2 of 4