4 of 4
My first pics!  Apple Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake (RHC)!
Posted: 15 January 2011 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Did you weigh the blueberries so that you used no more than 155g?

Were they small or large?  Although the recipe doesn’t say to thaw, if they were large rather than the small ones, they’d stay cold longer and not let the center of the cake get warm enough to cook properly.

I haven’t tried the blueberry variation, but that’s all I can think of.  Too many or, if frozen, too big.  Could either of these be your situation?

Oh, one other thing—did you, by chance, use UNbleached all purpose flour in the recipe?  The cakes will generally sink in the center if you use unbleached flour.

Posted: 15 January 2011 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2010-12-28

I weighed the blueberries, and used the exact amount the book called for.  They were small berries.  My flour was bleached Gold Medal all purpose.  All ingredients were weighed, except baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla, which were carefully measured.  Nothing was old.  I made a White Velvet cake successfully with this same baking powder a week ago.

IMO It WAS too many blueberries, even though the book called for that amount.  I think a blueberry version of this cake would come out better if the amount of berries was reduced and if the blueberries were mixed into the batter before any batter is put in the pan, instead of sprinkling on top of the batter.

Thanks for trying to help grin

Posted: 15 January 2011 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

You sure had all the bases covered, Eliz!  I’m really sorry your cake didn’t come out as you’d hoped!  I hope it still tasted yummy, even if it did have a built-in “birdbath.”  (Been there myself!)

Posted: 15 January 2011 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-12-28

Oh well, on to the next… (haven’t decided which).

Posted: 18 January 2011 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-12-28
eliz553 - 16 January 2011 03:21 AM

Oh well, on to the next… (haven’t decided which).

In the interest of moving on grin - Yesterday I made the lemon poppyseed cake in RHC.  It came out great.  Really good.

Posted: 18 January 2011 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I made the lemon poppyseed cake in RHC

Ooooh, I made this as one of my first!  It’s sooooo yummmy!  I’m so glad it worked for you and that you love it!!!!!

4 of 4