1 of 2
Stupid Carrot Cake…
Posted: 09 June 2010 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

Here is a pic of the carrot cake I made (the post, will it be good?)

I really have a problem w/ carrot cakes. i can’t seem to get them level (a lip always occurs around the sides of them) so then i end up cutting away, and then the cake gets smaller and smaller…..and then the cream ch eese frosting…i hate it. It almost seems to be clear, so you can see through the cake, and then like melts off the sides!! (hence why there is orange mixed in).

Good thing no one ever asks me to make a carrot cake for $.
Bah.

Image Attachments
phpcnPcHPAM.jpgphptv16wyAM.jpg

Posted: 09 June 2010 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3131
Joined  2010-04-25

How can you hate that amazingly gorgeous cake!!!!!!!  It is so beautiful! 

And I LOVE carrot cake!  Even my ex-boss’s, and she makes it without nuts (ditto her German Chocolate).  If it gets a lip, that’s just pile on the cream cheese frosting until it’s level.  Also, get enough on there, and you won’t see through it.  Oh, how I love cream cheese frosting!!!!! 

YUM!!!!!!

That cake is so pretty!!!!!!

p.s.  You can refrigerate letover cream chese frosting, roll it in balls, and dip it in chocolate—or white chocolate.

Posted: 09 June 2010 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Ski, I hear you, but it really does look pretty good!

What recipe are you using?  Have you tried the cream cheese frosting from the Cake Bible?  It is a little soft for piping, but I don’t remember it being translucent.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 09 June 2010 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
SweetNess14445 - 09 June 2010 02:42 PM

Here is a pic of the carrot cake I made (the post, will it be good?)

I really have a problem w/ carrot cakes. i can’t seem to get them level (a lip always occurs around the sides of them) so then i end up cutting away, and then the cake gets smaller and smaller…..and then the cream ch eese frosting…i hate it. It almost seems to be clear, so you can see through the cake, and then like melts off the sides!! (hence why there is orange mixed in).

Good thing no one ever asks me to make a carrot cake for $.
Bah.

You did an amazing job..that cake is gorgeous

Posted: 09 June 2010 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2007-11-15

Your cake looks lovely, Sweetness, and I love the way you’ve decorated it!

Posted: 09 June 2010 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-27

tongue laugh Your cake looks very nice. I am impressed with the carrots.

Posted: 09 June 2010 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Oh my goodness, I want a piece! It looks so yummy, if I lived near I would ask you to make me one! Carrot cake is my favorite =) I love the whispery soft swirls in the icing.

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 09 June 2010 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Ski, I agree with the others. Your cake looks wonderful. I can also understand your frustration when something doesn’t work out the way you want it to. It could have been worse.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 June 2010 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-06-03

Looking at the cake, I’d never have guessed that you’d had so many problems with it.  The final cake looks great and the orange and white sides look intentional.  The cake would look more plain without the orange swirl on the sides, plus the orange swirls and the carrots complement each other nicely.  I think its a nice looking cake. 

One possible tip for uneven cakes.  Have you tried Magi-Cake Strips?  They’re silver strips of aluminum fabric which you soak in water and then attach to the outside of the cake pan.  The water in the magi-strips helps ensure that all sides of the cake bake evenly.  I use them frequently and my cakes are more level because of them.

Signature 

Between the Pages
Where pop culture and food meet
http://betweenthepagesblog.typepad.com/

Posted: 10 June 2010 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

You’re being too hard on yourself!  Though I know, bakers have these perfectionist tendencies, so it’s unavoidable : )  The cake turned out lovely.  I hope it tasted as great as it looks!

Posted: 10 June 2010 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-05-16

The cake is gorgeous…..
I asprie to something even remotely that beautiful….

Posted: 10 June 2010 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

here’s the thing with cream cheese frosting.  Don’t beat it that much.  Most recipes tell you to beat the living daylights out of it.  If you make sure the creamcheese and butter are room temperature, and then beat until just combined…just…and then refrigerate it for a while, you will find it spreads on much easier…won’t be a translucent and will cover the sides better.  The other option is to add a ton of confectioner’s sugar…and it will be easier to work with, look better…but will be very seet.

Posted: 10 June 2010 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

This cake is definitely on my short list..my husband and I love carrot bread so I am sure this has to be even better

Posted: 10 June 2010 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

The cake looks great…and I also often find cream cheese frosting challenging.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 11 June 2010 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  902
Joined  2009-01-04

thanks everyone.
The recipe i am using is from allrecipes.com
i tried it once (after adding pineapple and nutmeg to the recipe) and fell in LOVE with it. It is by far the best carrot cake IVE ever had.

Ive used the magic strips w/ this cake and i still get the lip on the side. I really don’t get why.
As far as the frosting, Bill, that is what happened. I ended up refrigerating it, and it hardened up a lot. but then instantly, it warmed back up again, and started melting. I should have added more sugar, that probably would have worked! Oh well, next time.

Posted: 11 June 2010 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3131
Joined  2010-04-25

Mmmmm…I love pineapple in carrot cake!  I need to come and take a snap at that cake!  Want to share your adapted recipe???????

1 of 2