Neoclassic Buttercream- Using a coffeemaker caraffe as a heatproof thing with a spout
Posted: 11 June 2010 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3131
Joined  2010-04-25

I have a regular automatic coffeemaker—the caraffe is the old Mr. Coffee type, not the kind that looks like an insulated fancy thing.

Anyway, should this work as the “heatproof whatever with a pour spout” necessary for the neoclassic buttercream or do I need to get a bix pyrex measuring cup?

(I’m making a quad batch, so I need it to be 4, rather than 1, cup capacity.)

Thanks for your thoughts!!

—ak

Posted: 12 June 2010 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2010-06-12

Whenever I use a sugar syrup (for buttercream, meringue, etc) I always just pour it directly from the pan into the mixer. I understand why Rose adds the step - to stop the cooking - but I always end up with a horrible mess because the syrup cools too quickly.

And you should probably get a pyrex measuring cup anyway because I use them for practically everything. Don’t use the coffee carafe - they’re unwieldy and hard to clean if they have anything tougher than coffee in them.

Happy baking!
-Patrick

Posted: 12 June 2010 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  592
Joined  2007-11-27

Yes, pour directly from the pan you are boiling the corn syrup/sugar in - we do this all the time.  As long as you pour steadily in a thin stream (the width of a pencil or marker, not great splashes).  With the yolks, you don’t want to add the boiling mixture all at once or too fast because you don’t want the yolks to collapse.  I find I have better luck starting the yolks when I put the sugar on the heat.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 12 June 2010 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thnak you both!  Can I buzz one other question re this method by you?

My only nonstick pan is a 12” or 13” frying pan—I was going to use that for the sugar syrup to make sure it all comes out, but it’s going to be pretty hard to pour from.  It’s heavy and awkward.

I have stainless steel (8” and 2 qt.) and aluminum core stainless steel (8” and 4 qt) pots, but neither is nonstick.  If I use one of those, do you think I’d lose a lot of syrup?  I’m making a 4x batch, so I could always do 4.5x or 4.25x of the sugar syrup part to account for what’s left behind on the pan.  Just wans’t sure the correct increment to use—didn’t want to end up with too much sugar syrup. 

Thanks again!  Meanwhile, I’ll keep an eye for that pyrex to go on sale.

Posted: 12 June 2010 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

I also pour directly from the pan, and I use a stainless steel pan.  I reduce the heat as the syrup approaches the target to help avoid overshooting, and immediately pour the syrup in a steady, thin stream into the eggs (while beating).  It takes a little practice to pour it between the beaters and bowl, but it works. 

I use pyrex measuring cups a lot, for dough-rising containers (the larger ones), for making sugar syrups in the microwave (for cakes, not buttercreams), for making caramel in the microwave, for reducing fruit juices for pies and purees, for heating cream for ganache, etc.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 12 June 2010 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

I use my stainless steel pots all the time for making sugar syrup, and I’ve never had a problem…..

Posted: 12 June 2010 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, everyone!  It’s going to be a buttercream kind of day!  Now, let’s hope I can actually save it for it’s purpose and not eat it by the frozen spoonful!

Posted: 12 June 2010 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2010-06-12

I think your nonstick pan is a bit big for this job. I would use the smallest saucepan you have. I have a 1-quart saucepan I use all the time for small jobs like these.

Posted: 12 June 2010 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, everyone!  The buttercream came out PERFECTLY and iis now in a very-difficult-to-get-to place in my freezer.  I poured directly from my stainless steel, and everything workekd great.

As a side note, OMG!!! Is Lyle’s golden syrup the goods???  YES, people, IT IS!  If you are somewhere where you can’t buy this stuff, ORDER IT.  Corn syrup is NOTHING like it!!!