Rose’s Cake Strips
Posted: 11 June 2010 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-06-03

http://www.amazon.com/Rose-Levy-Beranbaum-Bakeware-Heavenly/dp/B000YHJJPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1276291703&sr=1-1

Somehow I missed the memo smile and had never heard about Rose’s Cake Strips before today.

I’ve been using Magi-Cake Strips for probably 20 years and swear by them.  Rose’s Cake Strips look really nice; I love the fact that they are silicon and don’t need to be soaked in water beforehand.

Has anyone used Rose’s Cake Strips?  Has anyone used both Magi-Cake Strips and Rose’s Cake Strips?  If so, I’d enjoy hearing your experiences with Rose’s Cake Strips.

Signature 

Between the Pages
Where pop culture and food meet
http://betweenthepagesblog.typepad.com/

Posted: 13 June 2010 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

I’ve never used them—I needed cakes trips for the first time recently and did the aluminum-foil-wet-paper-towels thing.

I’d be interested in anyone’s thoughts on the cake strips as well, especially over a 9 x 2” round aluminum cake pan and a springform that says it’s 9 x 3” but is probably more like 9.5”.

Thanks!

Posted: 13 June 2010 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

I have used both.  For some reason my Magi-Cake strips always smell terrible—like a metallicky smell and also impart a strange flavour on the crust of the cake (which is usually removed).  That said, I use Chicago Metallic 9” round pans and I think the magi-cake strips provide a bit more insulation than Rose’s strips. Also, they fall off towards the end of baking (Because of expansion).  I made a 14” round white butter cake for a wedding and used an aluminum pan and the magi-cake strips and Rose’s white butter cake recipe and it was literally one of the nicest butter cakes I’ve ever made.  I’m not 100% sold on either, unfortunately.  Actually, I did the aluminum foil on wet towels, and that worked really well, but a bit of a pain to assemble.

Posted: 13 June 2010 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Sherrie, for that great information! So helpful of you to have tried all three!!!

Posted: 14 June 2010 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-06-03

Sherrie,

I wonder why your Magi-Cake strips smell and impart a strange flavour on the crust of the cake.  I’ve been using Magi-Cake strips for probably 20 years and thankfully never had either of those problems.  I wonder if you recieved a bad set of strips?

Has anyone else had problems with Magi-Cake strips stinking and effecting the flavour of your cakes?

Signature 

Between the Pages
Where pop culture and food meet
http://betweenthepagesblog.typepad.com/

Posted: 14 June 2010 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

My magi-cake strips did the same thing.  I was wondering if it was related to them having dried out in the oven and then got too hot, but not really sure.  They didn’t start out smelling bad, it happened after a few uses.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 14 June 2010 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Is there other way they can be dried out, other than in the oven?