Hello Kitty Birthday Cake
Posted: 14 June 2010 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2010-02-22

My cousin wanted to have a Hello Kitty themed party for her daughter’s first birthday this past weekend. This was my first try at cake carving. It was an All Occasion Yellow Downy Cake w/ Mousseline Frosting and Strawberry Mousseline Filling. I am a beginner so I filled in the bow and nose with stars. The whiskers are black Twistlers. It sat outside in the backyard for a few hours in 80+ degrees. Everyone really enjoyed the cake and said it tasted excellent. Thank you Ms. Beranbaum for your recipes and helping me make the cake look like it was ordered from the bakery.

Image Attachments
IMAG0063-800x502.jpg

Posted: 14 June 2010 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

That is the cutest thing I have seen in years!!!

Congratulations!!!

You should send a pic to cake wrecks for their Sunday Sweets, it is so amazingly cute!!!  I’d be glad to nominate you, but not without permission!

Posted: 14 June 2010 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-22

Anne, I am beyond happiness reading your comment. Thank you so much! I’ve only been baking for a year so that gave me so much more motivation. You are welcome to nominate me but I have seen the cakes on Cake Wrecks and my cake is nothing compared to the ones on there. They are amazing!

I have to give credit where credit is due. I decided on a Hello Kitty face cake after searching the web for ideas. Then panic kicked in. What was I thinking, I never carved a cake before. Further browsing brought me to the BAKER’S CAKES blog with instructions on how to make this cake. If not for that, I would have given up on making this cake.

Posted: 14 June 2010 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

I’ve nominated it!  Here’s what I sent!

===========================

Subject:  Submission for Sunday Sweets

This cake was made for a little girl’s first birthday party—it’s the baker’s first cake carving, and I think she did a really beautiful job on it.  I know that most of your Sunday Sweets could qualify as Wonders of the World, but I think this one is so amazingly cute, it should be considered!!! 

The picture, along with additional details, are in this forum post on Real Baking with Rose:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/2376/

Posted: 14 June 2010 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1094
Joined  2009-05-26

I agree with Anne. That is the cutest thing. Looks so perfect!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 June 2010 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

That cake is absolutely adorable!

Posted: 14 June 2010 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Beautiful job, TD, really lovely!  And it sounds delicious, too.  Did the birthday girl love it?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 14 June 2010 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-22

I believe the birthday girl likes it if she keeps going “mum mum” to ask for more. grin I am just glad everyone enjoyed it. It’s that good feeling that makes baking so enjoyable.

-Kim

Posted: 15 June 2010 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2010-05-05

What an adorable cake!  You must have received many compliments on it and I’m sure you’ll now be receiving orders as well smile
I like your idea of using the twizzlers.  The star-tipped icing works well on this cake, it adds a cute charm to it.

Great Job!

Signature 

http://www.sugarcoatedbliss.com

Posted: 15 June 2010 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Adorable is definitely the word to describe this cake….love it!!

Posted: 16 June 2010 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Hello Kitty is sweet as is your cake!