Recipe for Chocolate Cookies for Ice Cream Sandwiches (to be filled with homemade mint ice cream)?
Posted: 15 June 2010 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2008-04-29

Hi everybody! I have really missed the forum and have not been around much.

My grandmother used to make grasshopper pie when I was a kid. It was a freezer/icebox pie with an oreo cookie crust and I am sure the filling had creme de menthe.

I loved it, and since I had all the components for ice cream (and was really in a groove from churning batch after batch for a party - by the way, homemade ice cream is a BAD IDEA FOR A LARGE PARTY, mark my words) and a backyard full of wild mint, I thought of re-creating that pie in sandwich form.

I know that Rose has a fabulous cake recipe (German chocolate) for an ice cream cake (and it’s coming up in the bake along) but I really wanted to try ice cream sandwiches with a chocolate cookie to go with my fresh mint ice cream.

My ice cream base is in the fridge, so now I just need to make some dark chocolate cookies. Does anyone have a recipe they recommend?

I have a fabulous recipe for oatmeal cookies (made with oil, so they stay softer when frozen) as a back-up if this doesn’t work.
xo
Rachelino

Signature 

http://scratch.typepad.com/
http://www.milkglassbaking.com

Posted: 15 June 2010 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

Jill O’Connor, in her book Sticky Chewy Messy Gooey published by Chronicle Books, has a recipe for a triple chocolate cookie that goes with her ice cream sandwiches. I have not made it, but have made her Devil’s Food Cake and her Sugar Crusted Brownies. Both were outstanding, so I trust her w/ her chocolate! Best of luck….

Posted: 16 June 2010 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Emily Luchetti has a recipe in her book “A Passion for Ice Cream.” They are scrumptious.

Posted: 16 June 2010 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Christine, just wanted to say thanks for all the book recommendations you post, I’ve followed many of them and have found delightful, quality books that I always manage to learn something from.  smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 16 June 2010 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Thank you, Julie, for your kind words. I’m so glad you find the book suggestions helpful smile

I just wanted to add one more bit of information. The cookie recipe I’m talking about is on p. 72 of Luchetti’s book. They’re called Fudge Cookies (and she also gives a recipe for mint chip ice cream—just the combination Rachelino is talking about!) Although Luchetti does not say to do this, I have found it helpful to refrigerate the dough until firm, scoop out portions of dough with a teaspoon so that each portion weighs about .75 ounces, roll into a ball, roll the dough ball in sugar, place on the cookie sheet, and flatten each ball with the bottom of a heavy glass dipped in water. I know this sounds a bit obsessive, but I am kind of a stickler about how cookies look, especially when they’re going to be ice-cream sandwiches. I like the tops and bottoms to be as exactly the same size as possible.

Posted: 16 June 2010 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

I wonder if you could use the whoopie pie “cookies” in RHC if you made them kind of flat?
You could probably make brownie cookies, also—just use your fave brownie recipe, but bake as cookies.  I know (a somewhat depressing fact) that you can eat frozen brownies with no problem…...

Posted: 16 June 2010 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

David Lebovitz’s The Perfect Scoop! I loooooove that book!

Posted: 17 June 2010 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Something else that might work, is to use the ger choc cake from RHC and bake it in cupcake tins.  When you split these in half and fill with ice cream, they look like little whoopie pies.  But they’re soft cake (even straight from the freezer), so they might not be what you’re looking for.

Keep in mind that it’s nice to have something from the freezer that isn’t rock-hard, so maybe consider a recipe with little or no butter.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 18 June 2010 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Not to sound like Julie’s Swiss echo, but I was perusing my RHC this morning, and Rose’s “Chocolate Ice Cream Cake or Sandwich,” says that “the new chocolate cake used for the German Chocolate Cake is also ideal for an ice cream cake or sandwich [because] it contains oilrather than butter [so] it stays soft when frozen.”