Magicake strips
Posted: 15 June 2010 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I am about to order them but don’t know which size to get.

Their small is for 8 and 9 cake pans

The medium is for 9 and 10 inch cake pans

I am using 9 inch pans

Is it better to be a snug fit or have some room?

Thanks for your help

Posted: 15 June 2010 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  909
Joined  2009-05-25

I’d buy the 9-10”—you can always clamp with a Buffalo clip (just don’t double up—it will bake uneven)—you can always make a larger strip smaller, but a smaller one can’t go any larger.

Posted: 15 June 2010 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thanks Sherrie. I did that. I actually called the company and they told me the 9-10” size can be placed end to end around rectangular cake pans.  I think I will have more uses for this size. Thank you.

Posted: 17 June 2010 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

I think there is one more reason to have a 10” strip: I have only one for 8”- 9” pan, and when I was baking a 9” cake in a spring-form pan, I realize these strips are - or tent to be - too small for this kind of pan. I end up using a pin to hold both sides the strip together. Terrible surprise!

By the way, missyjean, from which company is your strip? There is velcro on it?

Sherrie: I?d buy the 9-10??you can always clamp with a Buffalo clip (just don?t double up?it will bake uneven)?you can always make a larger strip smaller, but a smaller one can?t go any larger.

I’m a beginner, and I have no idea what a “Buffalo clip” is or how can I make a strip smaller without double it up. Can somebody help me?

Thank you!

Posted: 17 June 2010 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

I think a buffalo clip might be a binder clip—the ones that are black with the two silver things you press to open them and then release to close.  They come in a variety of sizes. 
I think what she means by not doubling is don’t allow the excess to go “sideways” around the pan so it’s “flat,” but rather pinch it so it hangs out to the side of the pan like a big loop and is thus a single layer around the pan itself.

Posted: 17 June 2010 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  909
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks Anne—you figured that out very well.  Yes, the clips I was talking about are binder clips but you can always pin instead, but the clips work great (no more pokes!)  Just a word—I baked the Chcolate Layer Cake today (one with 2 of Rose’s strips and the other with the water soaked strips and I definitely think the wet strips baked a little nicer—cake was more level)—I think this is a greater issue for me because I was using the Chicago Metallic pans and think I may try a lower oven temperature next time as the cakes were done before the recommended time (my oven is set to 350 F and thermometer tested).

Posted: 17 June 2010 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Vanie - 17 June 2010 08:06 PM

I think there is one more reason to have a 10” strip: I have only one for 8”- 9” pan, and when I was baking a 9” cake in a spring-form pan, I realize these strips are - or tent to be - too small for this kind of pan. I end up using a pin to hold both sides the strip together. Terrible surprise!

By the way, missyjean, from which company is your strip? There is velcro on it?

Sherrie: I?d buy the 9-10??you can always clamp with a Buffalo clip (just don?t double up?it will bake uneven)?you can always make a larger strip smaller, but a smaller one can?t go any larger.

I’m a beginner, and I have no idea what a “Buffalo clip” is or how can I make a strip smaller without double it up. Can somebody help me?

Thank you!

I ordered the medium size for cake pans 9-10 inches but the box I received states it is for all cake sizes.  It comes with 2 strips, 2 clips and no velcro.

This is what I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Magi-Cake-Set-Cake-Strips-Medium/dp/B002U0LE4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1276812698&sr=1-1

I called the company directly because I had some questions and they were very nice and very helpful:

http://www.magi-cake.com/

Posted: 18 June 2010 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

Oh-oh! I have those clips, but I didn’t know their name!!! red face

I think the magic strips, that missyjean has, are better them the ones I have (Regency Evenbake Cake Strips), because the problem I’ve mentioned. I’ll make sure to buy them in the future.

Thank you so much everyone!!!