question regarding Rose’s version of Touch of Grace Biscuits versus Shirley Corriher
Posted: 17 June 2010 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-09-13

Dear Friends
the big difference between the two is that in Ms. Corriher’s recipe there is the addition of 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, and no baking soda (if using self-rising flour) in Rose’s recipes.

I’ve got the biscuits in the oven now and while I’m waiting I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the virtues of adding that smidgeon of baking soda.

Thanks
Shokat

Posted: 17 June 2010 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-13

Update:
the biscuits were a big flop. This is the 3rd time I’ve tried this recipe. I really want to love them, but each time the biscuits don’t rise very much, the interior was pasty and too rich. I followed the recipe exactly on every pointer from weighing the ingredients to modulating the temperature, putting a pan with hot water in the interior of the oven during preheating, etc.

I looked on the web and someone on a Bon Appetit site reported the same thing. She said that one her second try, she used regular flour and added the leavening and it was much better. So I’m thinking my self-rising flour is to blame.

Still, I think it is probably too rich for me. But I would like to see what a normal Touch of Grace biscuit interior is supposed to look like: how much loft, the texture, etc.

Any thoughts from you?

Shokat

Posted: 17 June 2010 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve made these from the bread bible and didn’t have a problem. I don’t remember the pan of water, but don’t have the recipe in front of me. Are you using the bread bible or another source?

Posted: 17 June 2010 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

...I didn’t use self-rising flour, added the leavening as directed.

Posted: 17 June 2010 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-13

I used the recipe from the Pie and Pastry Bible.

Posted: 21 June 2010 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2010-05-30

I’ve made the Touch of Grace biscuits from Shirley’s book Cookwise, and they turned out wonderfully, I thought. I did use what Corriher said to: White Lily self-rising flour in the “middle” and regular AP for the “outside.” Do you have access to White Lily?

Posted: 22 June 2010 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-13

There is no White Lily in any area stores. I’m wondering if there is a difference between the recipe between Pie and Pastry Bible and the Bread bible. I think there is a difference between Rose’s recipe in Pastry Bible and Corriher’s recipe.

Posted: 22 June 2010 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

The April/May issue of Cook’s Country says that if you don’t have White Lily, you can combine equal amounts of all purpose flour and cake flour!  They picture Pillsbury Best (contributes structure—a mix of high- and low-gluten wheats) and Softasilk (contributes softness—a soft, fine-texture flour).

‹‹ Pate a Choux & Egg Substitue      Pie Crust ››