I need to feed about 100 people at work!!!
Posted: 18 June 2010 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I have been asked to make another cake for my work for next Friday.  The hospital that I work at built a Rose Garden five years ago in memory of it’s employee’s who have passed away since the hospital started in 1920.  Every year we have a memorial service and I have been asked this year to make the cake for after the service.  The nurses who are in charge of this asked me to make a cake for roughly 100 people. I am thinking that I should make alittle extra just in case.

So my question is this.  I would like to make a 12 x 18 inch double layer sheet cake, but also have an 8 x 8 double layer cake diagonally placed on top in the centre.  Would this be enough?  I have looked at all kinds of charts for serving sizes and I think this will be ok.  I would just hate to run out of cake.  I don’t think that there will be much food there other than the cake.

The last cake I made for my work was a double layer 12 x 18 inch All-Occasion Downy Yellow butter cake filled with raspberry cloud cream and frosted with White Chocolate Mousseline buttercream.  I am still getting compliments on it.  In fact everyone liked it so much they want me to make the same cake for the memorial service.  Which is fine with me - I’ve done it once, so I should be able to do it again.  (keeping my fingers crossed) 

I would just like some advice on the size of cake I am planning to make.  The last last cake was pretty much gone except for a couple of rows.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t stay for the retirement party so I don’t know how many people attended or how big the slices were cut.

Posted: 20 June 2010 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  600
Joined  2007-11-27

You could always just have the 8x8 on the side for serving, it doesn’t have to be on top of the 12x18…. and yes, I think you would definitely need the extra cake.  The 12x18 would give you about 65-70 servings…..

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 20 June 2010 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks Jeanne.  I have decided to make a 9 x 13 cake instead of the 8 x 8 and I am going to place it on top because I have always wanted to do a tiered cake.  I am planning on decorating with yellow gumpaste rose buds and white calla lilies with lace around the sides of each cake.  Hopefully it will look nice when completed.