Posted: 18 June 2010 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

What do you think? 

If it helps, here’s some info:

1.  No one is paying me to make cakes—i.e., no big wedding cakes or that kind of thing
2.  I am disinclined to purchase it becuase it’s not as beautiful and crammed with gorgeous pics as RHC
3.  I am inclined to purchase it becuase every time I read a post, a recipe from TCB is recommended

So, is there enough awesome stuff in there to make it not redundant in a casual baker sort of way?  Are there recipes in it that aren’t in RHC that it is a very sad thing to be without?  I have looked at it, but I can’t see it for long enough to make a decision.  I can’t concentrate looking at books in stores.

Thanks for your thoughts!

—ak

Posted: 18 June 2010 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

I use it all the time, wouldn’t be without it either. Plus, since the book is several years old, you can get a bargain on the older copies.

Posted: 18 June 2010 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

I have both, but since I have the heavenly cakes I rarely get the cake bible out anymore, only to look up variations. I love the pics, and get inspired that way.

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 June 2010 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

You could get TCB from the library and see the difference for yourself. 

RHC has highly customized recipes, while the Cake Bible has more recipes, and takes the approach of building blocks.  The building blocks approach means that you can double or triple recipes and then freeze extras and use them later (espcially buttercream) in different flavor combinations.  And while there are plenty of “showcase” cakes designed by Rose, you can also mix and match yourself.  I have both and I’m very glad that I do.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 18 June 2010 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

I agree with everything Julie just said.  I used TCB for years (and years, apparently because I never realized it was that old).  I have RHC and love it, but I have learned how to be a better baker from TCB.  TCB gives you flexiblity.  I recently made a 3 tier cake that was a combination of cakes and fillings from both TCB and RHC. 

I also highly recommend The Pie and Pastry Bible.

Posted: 19 June 2010 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I bought RHC first and TCB later.  When I read reviews about other baking books, TCB is often mentioned and referred to as “YUM”.  From what I can tell TCB has a wide variety of different types of cakes, including more quick breads-something I am especially interested in. IMO, they are both essential in any baker’s library. However, I love to collect cookbooks so don’t go by me.

Posted: 19 June 2010 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Anne, too funny….I was wondering the exact same thing.  I am seduced by the gorgeous photography in RHC, but after reading the posts here, I am inclined to buy TCB too.  Reading RHC certainly made me run out and buy the Pie and Pastry Bible, but I went through a tear of making about 4 pies in a row, then went back to making cakes!  Our local library doesn’t have TCB, but I will have to flip through it the next time I’m at a bookstore.  Sure seems worth it, though.

Tonight my husband asked, why is this woman so different? because he’s never seen me so inspired by a cookbook!  It was hard to put my finger on, but I told him I liked the precision, her use of high quality ingredients (appealing to the food snob in me?), was inspired by the photography, and of course, I am a fan of the finished product.  Given all that, I guess I better just buy TCB….: )

Posted: 19 June 2010 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you all!  I am IN!  As sooon as I can get he all clear from the hub, I’m gettin it, 2 financier molds & 2ss pans (for choco billseye cakes) at Amazon’s 4 for 3.  I lnow that’s 5, but….

Loopy, I can’t pinpoint what it is about Rose, either, but I am filled with actual joy when I bake her recipes.  I can’t explain it, but there is this incredible happiness and serenity about it.  Maybe it’s because I know it will be so wonderful in the end!

The only other cookbook that is anything like this is my Baked cookbook, but only with respect to their cookies and bars, not everything like Rose.  In fact, I seriously narrow my eyes at their cakes and cast a jaundiced eye upon them.

Posted: 19 June 2010 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

Anne, I’m glad you decided to buy TCB.  I have both books and I have no regrets purchasing both of them.  Rose’s cake recipes are the BEST.

Posted: 04 September 2010 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

I would any day vouch to have The cake Bible as well…its a store house of precious information. Helps you so much if you are a first time baker as well, and helps avoid so much wastage.