1 of 2
Do I need a candy thermometer?  6/30/2010 post:  A field guide to Caramel and the CDN ProAccurate Quik Tip
Posted: 18 June 2010 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

I just returned my candy thermometer to Sur La Table today, as my kitchen was filling with smoke from my black liquid, which, according to said thermometer, had not yet reached caramel temperature…....now I know more or less by color.  I know if it’s dark amber it’s something—is it something enough to make caramel corn with or only something enough to make buttercream though?  I just don’t know enough, but if there were a resource on line to learn, I’d love to hear about it if it can be done by color and balls without being a hassle.  I almost think it’s more accurate unless you can get a really awesome *jealousy* Therapen *jealousy*

Technically, I could get one, but I don’t think the hub would consider it a reasonable expense for a casual user.

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 18 June 2010 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I use this:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2006/05/at_last_a_terrific_affordable.html

But almost always do caramel by eye now—still helpful to gauge against a thermometer a couple of times though before winging it. I do consider this a necessity for buttercream and a number of other baking applications however.

Posted: 18 June 2010 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I also use the quick-tip that Matthew links to, and I find the longer I have it the more things I use it for.  Like taking the final temp of cakes, breads and meat, as well as finding cool or warm places in my house for bigas or rising bread.  I was just thinking I should buy a back-up because if this one goes I’ll be sunk!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 19 June 2010 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-01-12

Anne - I think you might have a defective candy thermometer!  I have quite a few because I also teach cooking at my school and none were very expensive - whatever Williams Sonoma or Sur La Table were selling.  I use them mostly for making marshmallows (just finished a batch for tomorrow) and sauces - caramel - buterscotch.  Make sure the therm. is in the right position in the pot - also make sure you are using a heavy bottom sauce pan - the right size for the job.

Posted: 20 June 2010 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

I had a bad experience whit a CDN thermometer, but not whit this digital one that Rose has talked about. There wasn’t any information about to keep that deeply immersed, so I don’t know what happened. I’ll try the digital one.

Anyway, does anybody know if are their timers good? I really need one which alarm sound be loud enough to be heard in another room. Any suggestion? Thank you!

Posted: 21 June 2010 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, all!  Is this the thermometer you refer to?  CDN doesn’t list a “Quick Tip” it on their site anymore.  The description of this one says it only goes to 350, which seems odd.  Tried to call CDN, but non one is answering.  Maybe they take the first day of summer off!!!  (It’s noon there, so maybe they’re at lunch.)

Much appreciated!

Posted: 21 June 2010 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I went back to my old order, and that is the one it linked to. Not sure why the description is wrong. I would write and ask before ordering. Amazon has problems with this sometimes—including getting an item other than pictured. I would double check with them first.

Posted: 21 June 2010 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Matthew! Will do!

Posted: 22 June 2010 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Called CDN (also emailed the Amazon seller). 

They are now recommending the DTQ450X ? PROACCURATE? QUICK-READ? THERMOMETER.  They said the only changes from the Quik Tip are as follows:  (1) they got rid of the red paint on the tip, as once the red paint is gone, the thermometer is no good and (2) they have tapered the probe.  Otherwise, it is identical.  There is also on one a rope.

Thanks, everyone!

—ak

Posted: 23 June 2010 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Just as a follow-up, here’s my reply from the folks selling the original Quik Tip recommended by Rose.

——-Original Message——-
From: The Handy House [mailto:kp3bzbs8y8vkc6v@marketplace.amazon.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 10:09 AM
To: Robert Kelly
Subject: RE: Product details inquiry from Amazon customer Robert Kelly

HI! That’s the only thing I don’t like about Amazon- they let the product details show one standard way for all regardless of what I actually input for my product details. That is 45o-you can see on our website it’s all correct. You may also order it directly through our webstore- it’s powered by Amazon’s shopping cart so it’s secure. Here’s our link- thanks so much!
Ruthy

http://www.thehandyhouse.com/CDN-Q2450X-ProAccurate-QuickRead-Pocket-Thermom
eter/M/B0021AEADK.htm

Posted: 26 June 2010 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-19

Anne

Is this the thermometer you refer to?  CDN doesn?t list a ?Quick Tip? it on their site anymore.

No, Anne, It’s not. Is this one here: http://www.amazon.com/TCG400-Professional-Candy-Deep-Thermometer/dp/B000095RBW/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1277593201&sr=1-16

This is a review I just saw: “This themometer needs a lot of liquid to register the temperature. By design, it needs a straight sideded pan filled with plenty of liquid. Candy cooking does not usually meet these requirements. It should not be described as a candy thermometer. It might work fine for some deep fry applications but the one I received is off by about 4 degrees compared to a Thermopen (a highly accurate general purpose thermometer)”.

It’s means, buying it was a mistake.  smirk

Thank you!!!

Posted: 26 June 2010 11:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Vanie!  I saw the thermometer you had in a store and almost bought it until I saw the immersion specification.  Luckily I was able to find the thermometer Matthew used (the one Rose recommends) and ordered the slightly updated model.  Looking forward to its arrival…......

Posted: 28 June 2010 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-19

Thanks, Vanie!  I saw the thermometer you had in a store and almost bought it until I saw the immersion specification.

Good for you, Anne. I hadn’t knowledge about it. This kind of think, make me undertand I had to read more, before to buy my tools!  long face

Posted: 28 June 2010 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I know what you mean, Vanie.  What attracted me to that thermometer was that mercury is supposed to be so reliable.  Plus, the way it’s shaped, you can stir with it, too.  So I was pretty psyched about it until I saw the immersion line!!!  Anyway, Amazon has shipped my new DTQ450X ? PROACCURATE? QUICK-READ? THERMOMETER, and I can’t wait to get it!!!  Making some caramel sauce for the Double Whammy Groom’s Cake in two weeks!!

Posted: 28 June 2010 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-19

There I go, Anne: I’m going to buy it!!!  wink

Posted: 28 June 2010 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Just make sure you only use this as a literal quick-tip, don’t let it rest on the side or touch the pan as it will melt/warp.

1 of 2