COBASAN
Posted: 21 June 2010 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-05-17

Hi to all,

Any experiences with Cobasan ? I would like to hear about them. As anybody tried it with the neoclassic ? This is definitively my favorite (and all of those I had them try it). Any idea of the quantity to be added and when ?

Thanks in advance !!!

Posted: 21 June 2010 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

To my understanding, cobasan only works with pasteurized cream (not ultra). It is used as a stabilizer for whipped or ice cream. I’ve never heard of it being used in a buttercream.

Posted: 21 June 2010 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-05-17

Hi,

Thanks for the info, but Rose’s book says that it emulsifies the fat and that it can be used in whipped cream but also in buttercream. I have never tried it or even seen this product, but I am curious as to how it works and what it can do.

Posted: 21 June 2010 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Interesting, I’ll have to read about it again. Is this in the new book? The only recipes I know of that use it are from Rose, and those are ice cream and whipped cream recipes. I did look into ordering it once, but it is very expensive, and I personally haven’t had any problems with whipped cream or ice cream, so I couldn’t justify the expense.

Posted: 22 June 2010 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-05-17

It is indeed in the “new” book, don’t know if it is in the previous one. Details about Cobasan are on page 424-425, in the Ingredients and Equipment section. It says “This is a wonderful product from Germany for stabilizing whipped cream and buttercreams. A minute quantity added before whipping the cream, or before adding the butter to the buttercream, emulsifies the fat, enabling the whipped cream to hold up for as long as 6 hours at room temperature and making it easier to pipe buttercream without softening as quickly”.

Posted: 22 June 2010 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I hadn’t clued into the buttercream use for Cobasan, either, thanks for pointing that out.  I looked into buying it a while back, as I have good access to pasteurized (not ultra) dairy products, but with shipping it came out to somewhere around $75, and I just never came around to thinking it was worth it.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 22 June 2010 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-05-17

Thanks Julie.

What would be the quantity to add to 1 neoclassic recepie if I decide to try it ?

Posted: 22 June 2010 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I thought I read something somewhere about a certain measure per weight of butterfat, but I couldn’t find it.  Perhaps Albert Uster can provide more info.

Here’s the link:  http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/018017/1-SPEC.html

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 22 June 2010 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-27

As Rose mentions in the book, I bought a bottle about 8 years ago.  It’s only half way used up!

I have only used it for whipped cream and only a teaspoon-sized splash at that; I haven’t ever used it for buttercream because we use an Italian Meringue buttercream as our house buttercream.  But I have a new pastry chef starting work next week with me, and she has only ever used Swiss Meringue for cakes ... and I wonder if a little Cobasan will go a long way in stabilizing a SM bcrm for use ... Hmm!  Thank you for the reminder smile!!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)