1 of 2
Devil’s Food Cake and Cupcakes!
Posted: 21 June 2010 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

So, I got to try a couple of new recipes for Father’s Day weekend!  The Devil’s Food cake did not disappoint—it was the moistest of all RHC cakes I’ve had so far, and the cognac cherries drenched in golden syrup were a wonderful addition.  I think it looked prettier before my amateur icing-writing attempt, but I had to get the message in there.  My dad has been gone for almost three years now and I think of him and miss him every day, so even though this cake was for my husband and the other dads at the dinner, it was a message to my dad, too.  Also, made white velvet cupcakes for the kids—my first try at the neoclassic buttercream, which was delicious!  I added lemon oil and zest to half, and orange oil and blossom water to the other half.  So they were a nice contrast to the intensity of the chocolate cake.  This was my favorite chocolate cake out of RHC so far (have also tried double chocolate valentine and chocolate velvet fudge)!!
P.S. This was the very first time I’ve ever piped frosting onto cupcakes, believe it or not! Amazing all of the new things that Rose and this blog has inspired me to do…

Image Attachments
June 21, 2010 051.jpgJune 21, 2010 055.jpgJune 21, 2010 059.jpgJune 21, 2010 054.jpg

Posted: 21 June 2010 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Loopy - the cupcakes are picture perfect! I love the neoclassic buttercream! And good for you to remember your dad that way. I’m sure he was smiling down on you as you enjoyed it!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 21 June 2010 08:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Hi Loopy,
Your cake and cupcakes are beautiful! Rose’s Devil Food Cake with Midnight Ganache is the real deal when it comes to the Wow Factor! I just finished eating a piece while I was reading your comments.This was my third time making it and was Hubby’s request for his Birthday Cake. I keep a jar of brandied cherries on hand for this cake. A note about cutting it….make sure that the cake is slightly chilled to keep the cherries in place while slicing, it makes a prettier presentation.  Love your pictures.

Posted: 21 June 2010 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Loopy, beautiful cupcakes and cakes! I think your piping are excellent, and the writing looks very nice. I haven’t tried the Devils Food Cake but your description makes me want to make it asap!

I’ve made the neoclassic with orange oil and orange flower water. It is so wonderful, isn’t it? The combination makes it smells very heavenly.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 June 2010 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2010-05-05

Your cake has me drooling!  smile
The icing looks absolutely delicious…..I love swirls in icing.

The devil’s food cake is definitely next on my list of cakes to try out.

Signature 

http://www.sugarcoatedbliss.com

Posted: 21 June 2010 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

Wow! Looks awesome!

Posted: 22 June 2010 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

Thanks all for the nice comments!  You are way too kind…  Darm, thanks for the tip on the slicing…I didn’t include a “slice” picture because I never got one that was all that pretty.  Plus, it seems immodest when you are at this family dinner and whip out your camera, even if you try to explain that you are doing it for fun.  I get kind of self-conscious about that and am not fast enough to do it when no one’s looking!

Posted: 22 June 2010 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, your desserts are so beautiful!  I love all those things you made—that Devil’s food cake is so yummy!  When I made it, I made a little unfrosted mini loaf, too, and we’re having a piece of that for lunch today. And your midnight ganaches is gorgeous!!!

Posted: 22 June 2010 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Great job and I think the piping looks terrific!

Yum!

Posted: 22 June 2010 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16
Darm456 - 21 June 2010 11:58 PM

A note about cutting it….make sure that the cake is slightly chilled to keep the cherries in place while slicing, it makes a prettier presentation.

Thanks for the tip, Darm!  I’m writing it in my book.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 22 June 2010 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Loopy, congratulations- those are amazing and look delicious!  How did you find the consistency of the ganache, very soft or just right?

Loopy - 22 June 2010 08:41 AM

I didn’t include a “slice” picture because I never got one that was all that pretty.  Plus, it seems immodest when you are at this family dinner and whip out your camera, even if you try to explain that you are doing it for fun.

My slice pictures are almost always of leftovers the next day, provided there are any!  smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 22 June 2010 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Loopy,
You can always whip out your camera and say “I told my friend that I’m making a chocolate cake, and she asked me to take a picture.” Just an idea smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 22 June 2010 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

Yes, definately give it a shot!  You can also take a pic of the honored guest with a piece of the cake so you can have it for your memories.  Then you can crop the slice out for us!!!!  (Unless you’re allowed to post a pic of your your undoubtedly thrilled recipient exuding cakey joy!)

Posted: 22 June 2010 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

YUMMY! Everything looks delicious!

You did a beautiful job of decorating.  Did you use special equipment to do that?

Posted: 22 June 2010 06:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

Haha, good tips on how to sneak in a photo next time.  I’ll have to give them a try!

The ganache:  I made it around 2 pm on Saturday and did the initial frosting 8 hours later, at 10 pm.  It went on the top and sides very nicely and I didn’t have to worry about any crumbs sticking.  However, it was a tad soft and I thought it might not be firm enough to hold swirls on the side, so I waited until the next morning to finish the cake.  It was the perfect consistency for adding the additional ganache and swirls on Sunday morning!

Special equipment?  I am embarrassed to admit that the writing was done out of a Wilton icing tube with a screw-on plastic piping tip!  And I just used a small offset spatula on the ganache.  That ganache had a wonderful consistency, a dream to work with. 

This Saturday I am attempting the chocolate strawberry cake with the infamous Miss Irene Thompson’s dark frosting for a Sunday birthday….I’m sure that will be a whole different story.  Have read everyone’s blogs and hope I learned something.  But in the meantime, the Lemon Canadian Crown is waiting in the freezer!  I will be sure to take a picture of that one!

Posted: 22 June 2010 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

You really did an excellent job

1 of 2

‹‹ Silicone pans sticking      Clinic cakes ››