1 of 2
Springform pan vs. cheesecake pan
Posted: 22 June 2010 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1094
Joined  2009-05-26

I am looking into getting a 7 inch springform pan for making 1/2 recipes of cheesecake or cakes that requires this kind of pan. I saw in amazon that they also have what’s called cheesecake pan. The cheesecake pan has removable bottom whereas the springform has the knob that you unlatch and then the sides of the pan becomes removable.

I’m wondering which one I should get. I don’t like non stick and they have fat daddio 7 inch cheesecake pan (removable bottom). Can I get away with this one? Do you guys have any suggestion? Any advise is appreciated smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 22 June 2010 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

I highly recommend the removable bottom kind. They are so much easier to work with than springform, plus you can use them for regular cakes too—actually, regular cakes are easier to unmold in them as well. I use the ones from parrish magic line. Haven’t heard good things about fat daddio. Amazon carries the magic line ones—sometimes you have to click on a different size than what you want, and then you will see more size options in the actual page.

Posted: 23 June 2010 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1094
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks a lot Matthew for the suggestion. Just ordered the 7x3 removable bottom Magic Line pan. You’re right, it was listed as 7x2 but when I clicked it I can choose the 3 inches one.
Also, I just got 7x2 Magic Line pan from Sur La Table last week. I’ve been using the 6 inch ones but want to try the 7 inch, smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 23 June 2010 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  161
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi Matthew - I made the coconut cheesecake the other day in a springform wrapped with three layers of foil and still experienced alot of water emanating from the foil when removed for cooling. My 9” silicone pan wouldn’t fit around, but have found a 9.5”  on Amazon that will work for holding the springform more safely in the waterbath. What do you think? What is the difference in springform and loose bottoms far as leakage goes? I understand about the unmoulding of normal cakes, but unmoulding springform worked so well for my cheesecake. I have read a lot on the forum about preferring using regular round pans. However, this coconut custardy one that people have experienced in RHC, including me, would probably have not stood up. what is your take on this. Thanks.

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 23 June 2010 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

P.S. Matthew - I have been using Chicago Metallic 9 x 2” since I first came here. Now I see more and more Magic Line. Maybe I should invest in some 9 x 2” ? What about oven adjustment with them? Thanks.

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2010 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Joan, I’ve switched to these for all my cake baking because I like them so much—no oven adjustment necessary as these aren’t dark. I haven’t made the coconut cheesecake, but I’ve made others and thought is was very easy to unmold. You just set the base on a large can, and then pull the side down. I often just leave the cake on the base since it is thin, it is like a built in cake board. I bought these from ebay—they’re actually 9.5 from Lekue. $5 including shipping is a great price for these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lekue-9-Silicone-Cake-Pan-Layer-Baking-Cook-Blue-/390212223752

Posted: 23 June 2010 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

These cheesecakes were both made in the removable bottom pans:

Blueberry Cheesecake

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Also, if you look on the main blog posting about no more pellets, the genoise I made were baked in these pans as well.

Posted: 23 June 2010 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21
Matthew - 23 June 2010 07:17 PM

Hi Joan, I’ve switched to these for all my cake baking because I like them so much—no oven adjustment necessary as these aren’t dark. I haven’t made the coconut cheesecake, but I’ve made others and thought is was very easy to unmold. You just set the base on a large can, and then pull the side down. I often just leave the cake on the base since it is thin, it is like a built in cake board. I bought these from ebay—they’re actually 9.5 from Lekue. $5 including shipping is a great price for these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lekue-9-Silicone-Cake-Pan-Layer-Baking-Cook-Blue-/390212223752

The devil made me say it: So, now I will have cake pans and a cake can. [forgive me]. Okay: I will now get Magic Line, removable bottom 9/2”. Are you suggesting the blue Lekue as a place for the cheesecake to sit in the water bath? I have ordered a 9.5” to accommodate my springform, but if using Magic Line the 9” would work. Or are you suggesting baking cheesecakes without water bath? Actually, I think you mentioned the $5 Lekue ebay deal a while back and I got one. I did read the no-more-pellets piece and think you are a magician to have solved that age-old problem for all of us! And the two cheesecakes you just showed me are so beautiful, as usual. Yes, getting it off the springform bottom was precarious, even with the use of that huge round spatula implement. I have used the loose-bottom pans before and found the thin bottoms useful. Thanks for all you help and generosity. j

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2010 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Actually haven’t had a chance to try the silicone pan yet as I ordered them from ebay same time I posted about it. I wonder if it would work without a water bath based on the forums threads about baking cheesecakes with cake strips—seems like it would work as well, if not better. I find if you have a crust all the way up the sides, you don’t need a water bath (this is discussed somewhat in the Pie Bible), but I also prefer my cheesecake denser and less creamy/mousse-like.

Posted: 28 June 2010 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21
Matthew - 28 June 2010 07:31 PM

Actually haven’t had a chance to try the silicone pan yet as I ordered them from ebay same time I posted about it. I wonder if it would work without a water bath based on the forums threads about baking cheesecakes with cake strips—seems like it would work as well, if not better. I find if you have a crust all the way up the sides, you don’t need a water bath (this is discussed somewhat in the Pie Bible), but I also prefer my cheesecake denser and less creamy/mousse-like.

Hmm. My 9.5 silicone came in and await MagicLine cheesecake pan. Like you, I do prefer not-so-pudding-like texture. I think I will first of all do the 9” MagicLine in the 9” silicone w/o bain marie. When I baked the RHC coconut cheesecake with doubled cookie crust. It came about half way up the sides.  Then I will do it in bain marie for fun. Fortunately I have two friends who are addicted to coconut. Thanks for your help. I will advise of the experiments. signed: Jekyll

Signature 

Posted: 08 July 2010 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

In the back of RHC, Rose mentions she likes Magic Line loose bottoms pans.  I noticed Amazon carries a 9x9 pan with a loose bottom.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Posted: 15 July 2010 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

I use the 8x8 and 9x9 all the time for brownies, crumb cakes, and other cakes.  So much easier to get out of the pan.

Posted: 16 July 2010 12:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thanks for your answer MrsM.  I just received my 9x3 today. I will be ordering the 9x9. I would imagine a 9x13 would be a good size to have in that line too

Posted: 23 July 2010 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

i baked with the 9x2 loose bottom today. My cake is cooling but I am wondering if I have to remove the bottom under the cake?

Posted: 23 July 2010 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I don’t know if you have to, but I always do.

Posted: 23 July 2010 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

It seems a good idea to me, as it will let the air circulate under the cake and let the bottom cool better.

1 of 2