Your recommendations for Chocolate Cake with White Frosting
Posted: 24 June 2010 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-10-20

The birthday boy (well, man really:) has requested chocolate cake with white frosting and no filling. He’s not particular, but I am! Recommendations?

TIA,

Stephanie

Posted: 24 June 2010 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

If you have RHC, the Devil’s Food Cake is the moistest, most delicous, chocolate cake imaginable.  I’ve made the neoclassic buttercream, and it’s more yellow.  I haven’t had the creamy, dreamy white chocolate frosting, myself, but I know others have (and I’m looking forward to trying it).

Posted: 24 June 2010 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

This is my Nephew’s favorite cake.  Chocolate fudge cake and white chococlate mousseline buttercream (both in the cake bible).  The white chocolate mousseline really tastes like vanilla…not white chocolate…and I add a tiny bit of vanilla extract to the buttercream as well.

It is AMAZING

Posted: 24 June 2010 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Ditto to Bill’s recommendation, and if you whip the butter very well before making the mousseline, the color will be a little paler.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 24 June 2010 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
Bill - 24 June 2010 10:11 PM

Chocolate fudge cake and white chococlate mousseline buttercream (both in the cake bible).  The white chocolate mousseline really tastes like vanilla…not white chocolate…and I add a tiny bit of vanilla extract to the buttercream as well.

That’s good to know; I’m not a huge fan of white chocolate, so I’ve been reluctant to make this frosting.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 June 2010 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-10-20

Thank you all so much! I now have more must-bake cakes to add to the list.
I had already been to the market before most of you responded so am going with Chocolate Domingo (per Mother Joan’s recommendation). I thought I remembered a WC + whipped cream frosting (don’t have it in me for mousseline tonight, so am taking the easy way out)... now I just have to find the recipe (am praying I’m not remembering the one with cream cheese because I have none and am not that thrilled with the idea of the CC)... Will report back tomorrow - and am hoping it will be raves.

You’re all the best, thanks again for holding my hand!