Trouble whit KD-7000 scale. I really need help!!!
Posted: 25 June 2010 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

Hi!
I saw a topic about scales but the last post is from 2007, so I decided open this one.

I just bough a KD 7000 and, on contrary to everybody here, I?m in trouble. First of all, I read information at My Weigh web site, about the ambient where the scale is supposed to be. I have to confess: That make me nervous!

MW says it can?t be in a hot place - my kitchen is terribly hot at summer. I have a fan, but it also can cause inaccuracy. I put the scale in the living room, far from windows, cellphone (around 15 feet), and I even turn the fan off, because MW says even the hum of a lamp can cause inaccuracy - I immediately started to think about what a (quiet) fan could do to it. Finally, when I started to measure a few bowls, I had a surprise: The weigh of some of them fluctuated something btwn 1-2g. Maybe the TV was the problem. The weird think is that it doesn?t happened whit every bowl I?ve weigh. And, if this variation happened because the TV (and it can be), I really don?t know where I?m going to put that so sensitive scale.

Amazon says I can return it, but that?s not what I?d like to do. MW also says, the most part of the problems has to do whit the ambient and low quality batteries. I don?t have that ones they indicate but those ones I used were brand new.

What should I do? Please, anybody help me!!!

Thank you

Posted: 25 June 2010 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Can you keep it in a closet it another part of your house and take it out when you need to use it?

I keep mine in a kitchen cabinet. The instructions that came with my scale say it cannot get wet and that is why I don’t keep it on the counter as I am afraid something might spill on it

Posted: 26 June 2010 12:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I don’t have the same model, but a 1-2 gram difference seems OK to me.  Only scales meant for very small quanitities are accurate to within 1 gram. 

Here’s a blog post with a My Weigh rep, Josh:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2006/02/weigh_to_bake_revisitedthe_per.html  Perhaps you could contact him, or the retailer that sold you the scale?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 26 June 2010 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  2008-09-27
Vanie - 26 June 2010 01:28 AM

The weigh of some of them fluctuated something btwn 1-2g.

That really isn’t much at all.  Air currents in the room are often enough to produce that small of a difference.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 26 June 2010 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-19

Missyjean, I’ve put mine in a cabinet, like you said.

Julie, Charles, thank you for the information. I was scared after reading so many things here:
http://www.myweigh.com/contact-us/scale-glossary-amp-explanations

Thank you so much!

Posted: 26 June 2010 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

I have the My Weigh 8000 scale. I live in Mexico and today my kitchen reached a humid 90 deg. F. When I use the scale, it is out in the open on the kitchen counter. I often have a fan on in my kitchen, which produces a lot of air movement. I have noticed small fluctuations of a few grams, but I don’t worry about that small a change. My recipes all turn out just fine.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 28 June 2010 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Everybody move to Seattle. We have had exactly two days this year that exceeded 70 and we have set a new record for consecutive days without a single day over 75. Guess what the projected temp for the 4th of July… 67. No scale problems in this town! LOL

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 28 June 2010 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2009-10-01

Gene, now you know why I was heartbroken to move from Seattle to Kentucky 27 years ago (I grew up on the East Coast). I LOVED the weather in Seattle, not to mention the scenery, the food, the market, etc. Summer there was glorious. If it got to 80, that was scorching. Here we just sit inside with the air conditioning, At least the air conditioning enables me to bake my bread, which I wouldn’t be doing otherwise with temperatures in the upper 80s and low 90s.

Posted: 28 June 2010 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-19

Kethleen, good to know that!! I feel much better now!

Guys, I fell the summer in Seattle is my dream! I live in NYC and I really hate summer in this city. 3h ago, I had to turn on the AC and 2 fans - at same room. It’s just impossible to be home without them! grrr

Thanks, every one!!!

Posted: 29 June 2010 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

The easiest way to protect your scale from spills and flour and sugar etc. is to keep it in a plastic bag, one of those cheap baggies that needs a twist tie is fine.  Weigh with the plastic bag over the scale, I have no problems at all.  I keep mine in a drawer simply because I don’t want the clutter on the counter.

Posted: 29 June 2010 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

MrsM—what a great idea!  At first I’m like, “If I had to deal with that bag every time I had to use the scale, I’d give it up,” and just then you said to use it in the bag and weigh on the wrap.  Genius!