Using White Lily flour in Rose’s recipe for Parker House rolls
Posted: 03 July 2010 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-07-03

I love Rose’s Parker House rolls and have made them well with King Arthur Flour.  I tried making them with White Lily Flour.  White Lily is supposed to make the lightest fluffiest rolls and biscuits.  Well they were anything but light an fluffy.  Does the recipe have to be modified to use White Lily?  I live in the South and it is tradition to use this flour.

Posted: 03 July 2010 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1369
Joined  2008-09-27
hymansa - 03 July 2010 09:12 PM

I love Rose’s Parker House rolls and have made them well with King Arthur Flour.  I tried making them with White Lily Flour.  White Lily is supposed to make the lightest fluffiest rolls and biscuits.  Well they were anything but light an fluffy.  Does the recipe have to be modified to use White Lily?  I live in the South and it is tradition to use this flour.

All Purpose or bread flour?  Bleached or unbleached?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 03 July 2010 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-03

I used White Lily All Purpose Flour.  Not sure if it was bleached or unbleached.  I usually try to use unbleached.

Posted: 04 July 2010 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4816
Joined  2008-04-16

I think White Lily has a much, much, much lower protein content than King Arthur.  White Lily is traditional for biscuits, I think, but for a yeasted bread it might not form enough gluten to be high and light.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Three New Takes on a Classic Fall Dessert

Posted: 05 July 2010 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-05-16

I totally agree with Julie. I have looked it up and White Lily’s protein content is close to cake flour, making for tender biscuits and pie dough where you do not have to mix very much to hardly at all. As with a yeasted bread dough you need the higher protien content as in King Arthur all purpose flour, which the protein content is close to that of some bread flours which is neccessary for the kneading, and results in a lighter roll.

Posted: 05 July 2010 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-03

Thanks for the information.  I really think that is true.  I am going to give it one last try and make the recipe side by side with the two flours.  Will give results soon.

Posted: 05 July 2010 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

This is a link to their products. It seems they have 4 types of flour available, including an unbleached bread flour. I’ve only used the self-rising bleached for making biscuits.

http://www.whitelily.com/Products/Category.aspx?groupid=93