Joined  2008-04-16

Hi everyone, just moving the Bake-Off posts to Show & Tell.  smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 03 July 2010 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

Ok, here we go!  This is the Star Spangled Rhapsody cake from TCB.  I love TCB, because it thinks like I think: this cake from this section and this icing from another section, and this fruit topping from the cheesecake, etc…  This particular cake really is a demonstration of how all the elements from the book can be combined to make something new.  The components are 1)Genoise Classique, 2) French Meringue discs, 3) Mousseline buttercream, 4) Whipped Cream, 5) Fresh Blueberry Topping.  It really can be intimidating, but it was fun to put it all together.  The first go-round of the genoise was a disaster, but I watched Rose’s videos posted elsewhere on this website and figured out where I went wrong.  I wish I’d taken photos of the before and after (I only took the before photo of the genoise) because the difference was dramatic.  My first genoise was about 1” high before the crusts were removed.  It literally felt like eating a sponge.  The new genoise was 2” high and light as a feather!

The genius of this cake, is that all of the components have a “lighter than air” quality, from the meringue to the genoise to the whipped cream filling to the mousseline.  I can’t wait to slice it tomorrow and then to taste it!

Oh, and my string work could use some practice. wink

Image Attachments
Star Spangled Rhapsody_edited-1.jpgStar Spangled Rhapsody2_edited-1.jpg

Posted: 03 July 2010 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

That is so beautiful! It looks professional. How long have you been baking?  I can’t see myself ever making something like that

Posted: 03 July 2010 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Breathtaking!!!!!!

Posted: 03 July 2010 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-30

Thank you Missyjean and Anne!  MJ, I’ve been baking off and on for 20 years.  My copy of TCB is VERY old.  I didn’t even know there were errati until I discovered this website!  Mostly, my baking has been in “off” mode, but this year I’ve been very much “on.”  My oldest went away to college last August and for some reason, I began baking again.  It was comforting to create the cakes and pies when I was missing him so much!  I’ve only just discovered The Bread Bible and I’m now going to see what kind of damage I can do in that department.  I think I’ll have to train for a few more marathons to burn off all these baking calories…

Posted: 04 July 2010 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

You have quite a gift,  BakerJD

I’m sorry you miss your son..I know what that is like

Baking definitely fills the time in a good way

Posted: 04 July 2010 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

BakerJD, what a glorious Fourth of July cake!  It’s just beautiful.  Can’t wait to hear your tasting notes.

I can only imagine how much you must be missing your son, glad baking helps.

Signature 

Posted: 04 July 2010 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Beautiful cake! Happy Forth of July!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 04 July 2010 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Beautiful! I quite like your string work, it’s whimsical smile.
I look forward to your tasting note as well.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 04 July 2010 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

That’s a real beauty, JD! I love the piping work you did. And for what it’s worth, I’m sure your son misses you, too. Kids don’t always tell their parents everything, but I don’t know any child who doesn’t miss their parents when they leave the house. I remember missing my parents when I went off to college. And now several years later I still do. Thanks for sharing your pictures. I love your cake. I haven’t made that one yet, but hopefully when I do it looks as nice as yours.

~MP smile

Posted: 04 July 2010 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Baker JD, what a perfect cake for the fourth of July!  You are making me really want to buy TCB…but I still have so many RHC cakes to bake first!  I was wondering, could you share with us what made your first genoise fail?  I am always trying to learn the pitfalls of genoise…

Posted: 05 July 2010 12:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

BakerJD, great job! Like everyone else, I agree what a perfect cake for the 4th!

Posted: 05 July 2010 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-30

The cake was heavenly!  Ethereal! Everyone raved and loved it. 

I think the first genoise failed because I didn’t heat the eggs enough.  The recipe says “lukewarm” but in the video, Rose heats them until they actually feel hot, which to me, isn’t the same as lukewarm.  I didn’t realize that the warmer the eggs, the fluffier they will beat up.  Then, I didn’t just beat them for 5 minutes until they were tripled in volume, but the second time I beat them at least an extra minute until they were the palest of yellow and very, very thick. 

Another thing I did the second time is when removing some of the batter to add to the butter, I didn’t measure a cup, but did as Rose and scooped “about a cup” into the butter.  She says a “scant” cup.

Finally, when I made the beurre whatever… I heated it until it was actually dark brown and not pale brown.  I think I was too exacting and timid the first time I tried to make the genoise.  Especially when Rose said that the only leavening is the eggs… well, then I understood.  The eggs themselves must be as light and airy as possible or the cake will not be.

Here’s a photo of the inside.  It would have been much prettier if the cake was cold when I sliced it, but then it wouldn’t have tasted as good.

Image Attachments
Star Spangled slice.jpg

Posted: 05 July 2010 07:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Again, really beautiful!  smile

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2010 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Here’s my entry for the July Bake-Off. Chocolate Ice Cream Cake with Vanilla Cherry Ice Cream.
I made the vanilla ice cream using Rose’s recipe from TCB, and incorporated the cherry part from a bing cherry ice cream recipe from Williams Sonoma’s website.

I made 1/2 the chocolate cake recipe, baked in my new 7 inch Magic Line pan. The batter is enough to fill the pan about halfway, with a little leftover batter for 1 small cupcake - for testing. The mini cake we ate yesterday and today we enjoyed a full slice of the cake.

One surprising thing is that the chocolate cake stayed moist even after being in the freezer overnight. I’m guessing it’s all the oil that makes it that way.

Hubby said it’s the best ice cream ever. As for me, I love ice cream so I feel like I’m floating on the clouds.

Image Attachments
DSC05251_m_s.jpgDSC05233_m_s.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 05 July 2010 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-30

That looks amazing!  Cherry vanilla ice cream is my favorite.  I’ve got to try this one when all the kids come home from camp this summer.  I attempted an ice cream cake last year and it was terrible.  What sort of fudge topping did you make?

Looks like I need to get an ice cream maker!

1 of 4