Ovalett (emulsifier…really a sponge cake question)
Posted: 04 July 2010 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2009-09-09

Hi Guys,

I’m slowly trying out all the cakes in both Rose’s book but I have yet to try her sponge cake in TCB because it needs a sponge cake pan and I don’t have one.

My friend got a sponge cake recipe that works as a layer cake but it uses Ovalett. It was taught by a bakery chef from Chinese bakery and it taste exactly like the cakes we buy from the stores.
I looked up what is Ovalett and apparently it’s an emulsifier. But it’s basically chemicals :( (Monoglyceride, Polyglycerol, Polysorbate, Sorbitol, Propylene Glycol, Tartrazine and Water)

I was wondering if anyone knows a natural emulsifier that can replace ovalett?
I love Chinese bakery style cakes…they’re not as soft as chiffon cakes from TCB but they’re light and airy. They’re sturdier then chiffon cake. We can layer these cakes with pastry and custard and fruits and the cake will not crush.

What’s really interesting about the Chinese sponge cake recipe is that they whipped the eggs as a whole!
They whipped the eggs and sugar together until foamy and then added in the Ovalett (5g for 2 eggs). After that he continued to whip the whole eggs mixture until they were stiff!! Stiff like egg whites…he can turn the bowl upside down and it was still fine!...

If someone knows how Chinese bakery sponge cakes taste like…and compare it to the ones in TCB that would be great too…i wouldn’t mind trying her recipe in a normal cake pan and pray that it works smile (also if it’s tough enough for a layering job with heavier things like butter cream, fondant etc)

Thanks,

Agnes

Posted: 04 July 2010 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2009-09-09

hum…i was doing more reading and i’m beginning to think i can’t make a cake exactly like theirs without using the chemical

I was reading this page that had description of different emulsifiers and what they do in baking.
#
Chemically Leavened Products
  Consumers prefer cakes that are light, tender and moist. Without emulsifiers, cake batter appears greasy and shiny with the fat dispersed in very large, coarse, irregularly shaped particles. Incorporation of certain emulsifiers provides aeration, foam stabilization, emulsification, and crumb softening to cake systems.

# Aeration/foam stability. Cake batter is a mobile foam, while baked cakes are rigid foams. Emulsifiers coat the air cells in foams to provide foam stabilization. In addition, emulsifiers increase the amount of air that can be whipped into the batter by decreasing the surface tension of the aqueous phase, thereby increasing the whipping rate of batters.

Carbon dioxide gas, a leavener, does not spontaneously form bubbles in cake batters. By adding emulsifiers, more uniform air cells are generated and these act as nucleation sites for the dissolved gas. The result is a cake with improved grain, more even cell structure, and increased volume.

Monoglycerides, lactic acid esters, propylene glycol esters, polyglycerol esters, and polysorbates are emulsifiers that provide aeration and foam stabilization.

# Emulsification. Cake batter is also an oil-in-water emulsion, with shortening or oil as the dispersed phase and water as the continuous phase. Emulsifiers, especially hydrophilic types, aid in mixing the fat phase with other ingredients. They aid in fat dispersion by breaking the fat into a large number of smaller particles.

The integrity of the foam walls, formed by proteins, determines cake volume and uniform appearance. Shortening is an antifoam that tends to disrupt the foam cells. Emulsifiers coat the fat particles’ exterior surface, providing protection to the protein film cell walls and eliminating film disruption. Because of this protection, bakers can incorporate plastic shortenings, as well as vegetable oils - notorious antifoams - in their formulations. Not only is vegetable oil easier to use because of its pumpability at room temperature, but 25% less fat is required in oil-containing bakery formulations compared with those that contain plastic shortening. Vegetable oil also enhances the moistness.

# Crumb softness. Crumb softening in cakes involves moisture retention and efficiency of shortening action, as well as starch complexing. A sponge cake with emulsifiers will have higher volume, a more tender and uniform crumb, better crust appearance and increased shelf life.

Choosing an emulsifier for a cake system depends on the type of fat used, production equipment available, and labeling issues. Emulsifiers for cake systems are usually added into the shortening at levels ranging from 4% to 14%. The most common emulsifier used in cake mixes is 10% to 14% propylene glycol monoesters (PGME), on a shortening basis. Typically, emulsifiers such as monoglycerides, polyglycerol esters, or SSLs are used in combination with “alpha-tending” emulsifiers such as PGME, acetylated mono glycerides, or lactylated monoglycerides.

In vegetable oil formulations, one may choose a dispersible blend of PS-60, SSL, sorbitan monostearate, and monoglycerides or a fluid shortening containing lactic acid esters of monoglycerides. A traditional system still used by bakers contains a plastic shortening with 5% to 10% mono- diglycerides.

It seems like the chemical in Ovalett allows bakers to whip eggs up differently b/c the chemical will coat each cell etc
It also seems to affect how the fat and egg will interact. It allows the fat not to destroy the air created in the egg.
I wonder if this is why he’s able to whip up whole eggs until it’s very stiff just like egg white when there’s fat found in egg yolk.
Very interesting…i do really wish there’s a natural substitute I can use as i really like Chinese bakery style cake (it’s what i grew up with)

Posted: 05 July 2010 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2008-09-27
Aggie - 04 July 2010 11:16 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows a natural emulsifier that can replace ovalett?

Lecithin, perhaps?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach