2 of 2
tube pan cake sinks
Posted: 10 July 2010 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, not really sure on this.  Matthew might have better information, as he also bakes with a hand mixer.  If your total mixing time is coming out to 25% more than indicated in the recipe, and other, larger layers mixed in the same batch were fine, then I doubt mixing was the issue with your sunken 6” cake.  More likely it was underbaking, either by time or temp.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 14 July 2010 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Many thanks, Julie!

Posted: 17 July 2010 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Sorry, couldn’t say, I never mix anything larger than 2 9x2 layers with a hand mixer, and even then for some cakes I don’t think it works well and would break it into two batches (for example the white chocolate cake in the new book because the batter is very stiff). The 2 9 x 1.5 recipe in TCB worked fine, but that extra inch pushed the limit for my mixer.

Posted: 18 July 2010 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

I have a 3-speed Cuisinart, and it rallys pretty well.  My only gripe about it is that the beaters aren’t flat (they’re round wire) and don’t have that post down the middle.  At first, I thought that would be a benefit—folks at Amazon like it anyway (easier to clean)—but I find it’s really hard to cream butter.  It more or less just throws stuff through without really breaking it down.  Luckily, there is not so much creaming in Rose’s recipes.  It’s got some good power, though, and does 3 9x2 layers or 1.5x bundt without complaint.

2 of 2