2 of 2
Wedding cake not good enough as a present?
Posted: 09 July 2010 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3126
Joined  2010-04-25

everything is ironed out with the bride. I threatened to give her 50 eggs and 7 pounds of chocolate

Love those happy endings!! It just brings out the Golden Age of Hollywood in me!

Posted: 09 July 2010 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

LOL  Having it in the form of a cake is a much better option.  I’m glad everything worked out for you.  I really think that is a terrific gift

Posted: 10 July 2010 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

FWIW, and perhaps this is tacky, but when I discuss cakes and flavours, I usually ask if the couple would prefer to have the cake as their gift or if they would rather include it with their wedding expenses.  This actually started back when I did my first cake for my sister and didn’t have a huge budget myself.  Since then, most of what I’ve done has been for family so I give them the option (also because they’ve been for my hubby’s siblings and the “gift” doesn’t include his efforts) and also to keep things consistent with our families.  Keep in mind though the last two weddings I did have been 300+ portions and this is a large expense!

Posted: 10 July 2010 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3126
Joined  2010-04-25

I usually ask if the couple would prefer to have the cake as their gift or if they would rather include it with their wedding expenses.

Sherrie,

I don’t find that tacky at all.  I think that’s a way of stating things that makes everything very clear to everyone in a very pleasant way.

Posted: 10 July 2010 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
Sherrie - 10 July 2010 03:24 PM

FWIW, and perhaps this is tacky, but when I discuss cakes and flavours, I usually ask if the couple would prefer to have the cake as their gift or if they would rather include it with their wedding expenses.  This actually started back when I did my first cake for my sister and didn’t have a huge budget myself.  Since then, most of what I’ve done has been for family so I give them the option (also because they’ve been for my hubby’s siblings and the “gift” doesn’t include his efforts) and also to keep things consistent with our families.  Keep in mind though the last two weddings I did have been 300+ portions and this is a large expense!

I don’t find it tacky either.  I think you are being very up-front and honest.

Posted: 11 July 2010 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1145
Joined  2009-11-24
Sherrie - 10 July 2010 03:24 PM

excellent idea!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 12 July 2010 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

It’s a generous offer in expense and your time, not to mention the offering itself comes from your heart. It’s more than enough and I am looking forward to a very delicious sounding end product!

Posted: 26 July 2010 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks to all of you - thinking about it I had told them it’s a gift, but that was 6 months ago. But next time I’ll keep it in mind and make a clearer point of it. Anyways, the wedding was yesterday and I’ve posted the result!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

2 of 2

‹‹ Coconut Ingredients      Ganache Frosting ››