Southern Coconut Cake & Cupcakes
Posted: 09 July 2010 12:05 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Hi All, Here is the coconut cake from RHC that I made last weekend.  It was the one where I was stressing out about the creme anglaise!  Fortunately, it turned out just fine.  Of course, last week I saw the lovely big coconut flakes at Whole Foods that would have been nice to sprinkle on top, but I used them for the cupcakes instead.  This is a batch of white velvet and chocolate butter cupcakes, using the chocolate egg white, neoclassic with strawberry butter (and yes, a few drops of red food coloring), and some of the leftover silk meringue buttercream from the coconut cake.  Can I just say….I loved these cupcakes and can’t wait to make them again!  I think the texture is just right and the chocolate is very chocolate-y!

Image Attachments
Coconut Cake.jpgCupcakes.jpg

Posted: 09 July 2010 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Loopy!  When I saw your cake at the top of the Fresh from the Forum, I was so phyched.  I was just thinking of you yesterday and wondering about your cakes.

Loopy, that cake is gorgeous.  It’s lucky you didn’t find the big flakes at Whole Foods until after you made it, because whatever coconut you used on teh outside of it is perfect.  It reminds me of the big, wet, friendly snowflakes you sometimes get in winter. I see there is a large slice missing—how yummy is the cake?  This “It turned out just fine business” won’t cut it!!!!

And those cuppiess!  When I clicked on the picture and it enlarged, I gasped.  They are so beautiful!  I love that white velvet cake—seriously perfct stuff.  I’ve never been a fan of cupcakes, but the cupcakes I’ve seen here—definately including these—are tempting me.

Congratulations on your wonderful, inspiring baking!

Posted: 09 July 2010 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Beautiful!  Just Beautifu!

Posted: 09 July 2010 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Great job, Loopy, those are gorgeous!  Which cupcake was your favorite?  And how did you like the coconut cake and the silk meringue frosting?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 09 July 2010 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, and also, how do you like the dried coconut chips and the dessicated coconut?  Do they “work” sprinkled on frosting?  I’m unfamiliar with their texture, and was wondering if they might be too “al dente,” if you know what I mean!!

Please let us know, especially since you got to sample several sizes!

Posted: 09 July 2010 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Loopy, beautiful cakes! I love the southern coconut cake as well. And the chocolate egg white buttercream is a dream indeed. So chocolate-y and taste so light.
I love how you decorate the cupcakes, beautiful swirls. Look fancy smile.

I haven’t tried the white velvet cupcake. That’s the only cupcake I haven’t make in RHC.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 July 2010 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

Thanks everyone!  I am on a little bit of a coconut kick since my babysitter loves coconut, and I do too…we started with the coconut cheesecake last week, then this cake, and when she gets back from vacation in a couple of weeks we are going to try the coconut seduction! 
My favorite cupcake…I didn’t think I could like anything better than the white velvet, but the chocolate cupcake really had me swooning.  It was much moister than the other chocolate cakes I’ve tried from RHC and I loved the chocolate flavor. 
I thought the coconut cake was really, really good, especially the first two days, but my mother-in-law gave it just an “okay” when I asked how she liked it.  (This is the same one who “recycled” the tres leches so who knows her taste?!)  The babysitter and my aunts loved it, had seconds, and took some home. Still, I probably ate half the cake myself; by the end of it, I thought perhaps I had overdosed on buttercream.  It is light with the italian meringue, but you know, it is buttercream after all!! 
Finally - I didn’t try any of the big coconut flakes, because I gave away those cupcakes, but yeah, they do look like they’d give your teeth a workout.  The coconut on the cake was just frozen, defrosted, dried coconut which I haphazardly put on the cake but worked great; it cut the sweetness of the frosting just as RHC says.  I was happy I’d impulsively picked up that pink decorating sugar for the cupcakes, it really dressed up the strawberry frosting.  Of all the frostings, I think that one was my favorite!  I had some of the American Spoon strawberry butter and put more than the 1/3 cup called for because it’s so darn good. 
Tonight, made a batch of the chocolate ingot and the gold ingot batter and it’s resting in the fridge.  (See how much I’ve learned!)  Will bake them tomorrow and then freeze for a cookout that was supposed to be on Sunday but now is rescheduled for a couple of weeks later…hopefully I can keep them frozen and not eat them before then!

Posted: 10 July 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

my mother-in-law gave it just an ?okay? when I asked how she liked it

Whaddya expect from one of them??? 

Just kidding!!!!!

Can’t wait to hear about your ingots, Loop!!

Posted: 12 July 2010 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Sorry I missed this, beautiful coconut cake and cupcakes! Your coconut cake looks just like the one in the book!

Posted: 13 July 2010 05:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

Anne, too funny and sooo right!  Though she did like munching on my leftover carmelized cacao nibs!  The ingots came out fine, though some of the gold ones rose kind of lopsided, some cracked, others didn’t…kind of un-uniform looking, but tasty.  Silicone seems unpredictable that way, for me anyway.  The chocolate ones came out very uniform and I loved the nibs, might add more next time.  The flavor was a mellow chocolate, I think that the Barcelona Brownie Bites might be more popular for real chocolate lovers but these are delicious, too.

Matthew, thank you!  Though I think YOUR coconut cake is the standard to which we all aspire.  In fact, I was wondering what I’d need to do next time to make it look more like yours…I think some first steps might be to level off the domes to be perfectly flat, and to line up the layers more carefully and trim sides if necessary…any other tips to share??

Posted: 13 July 2010 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Both look just wonderful….. the coconut cake looks perfect and the cupcakes look professional.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 15 July 2010 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Your cake and cupcakes are beautiful.  I made the chocolate cupcakes and loved them.  I have to try the other cupcakes in RHC.