German Chocolate Cake Filling vs. Dulce De Leche
Posted: 09 July 2010 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

If we remove the pecans and coconut from the German Chocolate cake filling, does anyone know what the “end result” difference is between these?  I know the filling has egg yolks, for example, and DDL doesn’t.  But in the end, what is the difference in the taste, texture, etc?

I’ve never had DDL.

I’m making the double-chocoalte whammy this weekend for a friend’s b’day and was going to use either caramel sauce or German Chocolate cake filling (minus coconut and pecans, neither of which she likes).  I decided on the latter, as she is a sweetened condensed milk fanatic.  But then the DDL is also made with SCM, so I was considering that.

I know the method is different (the DDL I know of is just SCM sitting over a double boiler for an hour or so until nice and dark), but I didn’t know the difference in the end products.

Any thoughts, anyone???

Thanks so much!!!

Posted: 10 July 2010 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Perhaps a few test runs are in order?  I can think of worse things than having extra dulce de leche in the house!  It may not be smooth enough for your purposes, you could try warming it and straining it.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 10 July 2010 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I’ve decided to make the dulce de leche!  I let the universe decide it.  It works out that I would have had to buy extra eggs (meaning grocery store eggs) to have enough to make the German chocolate cake filling, and I am now a total farm-egg tweenie.  Also, my friend loves sweetened condensed milk, so I thought it would be fun to make a topping that was ONLY sweetened condensed milk.  I might have to apply it sparingly, as I understand the DDL is one of the sweetest things on the planet, which, of course, stands to reason.

Anyway, pics and results soon to be forthcoming!!!

Posted: 11 July 2010 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

OMG.  People!  If you have not made dulce de leche yet, get yourself a can of sweetened condensed milk and make some—NOW!!

It is so incredibly delicious.  You do not need a use for it.  Your only regret wil be that you didn’t make more!

I didn’t want to have my oven on at 450 for 1-1/2 hours, so I made mine on the stove top.  I poured the contents of the sweetened condensed milk (Bordon Eagle Brand, per Rose’s recommendation) into a 1 qt heat proof bowl (so it would be near the bottom mostly) and covered it tightly with foil.  I then set it in a metal steamer basket which was in a pan of boiling water.  The water came all up around the sides of the heatproof bowl, so the SCM had a water bath all around it.  I boiled it on low (after it gets going, you can cut it down really low and it still boils) until it was done.  It took 2 hours to become a tad darker than a Brach’s caramel.  When it was done, I stirred vigorously with a silicone spatula, and it was smooth as silk.  And it quickly became really thick and sticky. 

It is delicous and awesome!

It is currently in my fridge waiting to get onto the double-chocolate whammy cake.  I’m going to put it on at the last minute, because it’s hard to tightly wrap a cake with dulce de leche on it.

Make some!!!!!!  Oh, will you be happy you did.  I had a little spoon of it with walnuts.  **heaven**

Posted: 12 July 2010 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Oh my, reading your post inspired me to re-live the first time I tried it.  I was nineteen and spending the summer in Argentina… the family I was visiting kept large tubs of it in the kitchen, so it was always available.  All I can say is, at nineteen you can eat an awful lot of the stuff without ill effect!  grin

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 12 July 2010 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Julie, I can see how it could have been the highlight of your trip to Argentina!!!!!!!  Boy, that’s a place I’d love to go—and not just for the DDL, but now even more so! 

It is almost depressing that I only have enough to put on my cake.  I was sorely tempted to stir some into my yogurt this morning.  Or maybe have it instead of my yogurt.

Posted: 12 July 2010 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I am so looking forward to seeing a picture of this cake.  I have not come across ddl in my reading yet. 

I’m headed for the books right now

Posted: 12 July 2010 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Missy!  I’ll try and post tomorrow.  Got the pics all ready ... then ran out of time!!

Posted: 12 July 2010 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Cool! I’m looking forward to seeing them

Since I became a member of this forum I have been taking pictures of things I bake and posting them on FaceBook.  I never thought of that before.  It gives my family a chance to see for themselves.