chocolate tomato cake
Posted: 13 July 2010 02:37 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-10-09

Hello all

Has anyone tried the chocolate tomato cake with mystery ganache on page 87 of the new book?  It calls for 1 can/1 cup of tomato soup preferably campbell’s.  I’ve tried it twice with middling success.  It came out fairly fudgey.  At least fudgier than I was expecting.

Admittedly I may have an oven temperature issue but on the second attempt I’m pretty sure the oven was exactly at 350.  But besides that issue does anyone know if by 1 can of soup, the intention is for one can of condensed soup or is the intention to dilute the condensed soup. and measure out one cup. 

I haven’t eaten Campbell’s soup since childhood and was surprised to find that nearly all varieties including tomato are now condensed.

I made the cake a couple of times diluting the canned soup according to its instructions before proceeding.

As I said the texture was a bit creamier/fudgier than I was expecting.  It wasn’t entirely fudge like.  There was a crumb but it wasn’t even throughout.

Has anyone tried this cake yet?

Thanks much.

Posted: 13 July 2010 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

oh dear, the recipe calls for the only campbell soup there is now, which is condensed.  undiluted.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 13 July 2010 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

HDS, you’re very brave to have tried this cake, twice no less!  I am intrigued by it but not enough to make it….yet.  I do think the intent is to use one can of soup as is, undiluted.  Just my best guess, since the instructions in RHC are so specific that I’m sure they would have specified if it were to be diluted…

Posted: 13 July 2010 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

I haven’t made this cake either, and it struck mee as fairly novel when I first saw it.  However, since then, I’ve seen cakes sporting cans of Campbell’s tomato soups on at least 3 other occasions.  Once, one of my bosses took a pic of a recipe from the 50s under glass at a table in a small town—it was his mother, and this was “her” recipe.  And two others, but I forget the circumstances.  I don’t thik any used chocolate, though.

That said, definately not diluted.  I never knew Campbell’s ever made uncondensed versions in the past!  I thought that trend started with their Chunky line!

Posted: 13 July 2010 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2009-10-09

Thanks again for all the help.  I do think its intended as written which would be undiluted (although the recipe calls for Campbell soup “preferably”).

As I said its been so long since I’ve actually eaten Campbell’s but I think I recall it being unconcentrated as a kid.  Could be wrong.

I’ve heard that chocolate cake recipes with campbell’s date from WWII.  But not sure about that either.

Thanks again

Posted: 13 July 2010 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2009-05-14

Yes, I have made the cake fairly recently. The cake baked very nicely and I had some crumbs to taste and I thought it was quite good. Personally, I didn’t think the tomato soup added much to the ganache. I could taste a bitterness from it. I would not put the tomato soup in the ganache next time…I’d just leave that part out! Please read my write up of the cake on my blog if you are interested. I have an uncut cake picture of it there. Rural England is afraid of chocolate tomato soup cake!

The cake calls for condensed soup undiluted. In UK the soup needed is marketed by Bachelor’s Soup as they have taken over Campbell’s here. Also the correct soup is called ‘Low Fat’ Tomato Soup. Rose confirmed with me that the cream of Tomato Soup variety is not the one needed. She said it would be experimental if that was used.

I didn’t actually get to taste that darn cake, as it was for a Village Hall Teas sale. They didn’t deserve such a nice cake made for them in the end. Cheers.

http://www.pickworth.me.uk/blog

Posted: 13 July 2010 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

They didn?t deserve such a nice cake made for them in the end.

Sadly, this is so often the case!  Luckily, baking itself can sustain us!  (And the sympathetic vibrations & celebrations of the good folks here, of course!!)