Bosch Universal speed and time for cakes
Posted: 14 July 2010 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-06-27

I have a Bosch Universal which I would like to use for cakes, but I am not sure what speed and times to use to correspond to the Kitchen Aid instructions in Rose’s recipes.  I am hoping there is someone who has used both and can give me some advice.

Posted: 15 July 2010 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-05-17

I just got my Bosch about a month ago and love it! The little booklet that came with it gives appox. speed use but most of the time I use speed 1 to start then 2 or 3 for mixing and 4 for whipping. I use 1 when adding eggs, flour and milk mixtures. I do find you have to stop and use a spatula more often but it works really well. The only problem I have had is creaming my cream cheese for cheesecakes. I didn’t spatula it down enough and had lumps. This mixer rocks and is worth every penny. Wait till you do IMBC- never thought your could whip egg whites in a plastic bowl. They are beautiful…....

Colleen

Posted: 15 July 2010 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Colleen, thanks for that- I’ve been curious about the Bosch for a while now, and like you I never would have thought of putting eggwhites in a plastic bowl.  Good to know.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 16 July 2010 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-17

I got the stainless bowl with it and used that the first time just to be sure but thought what the heck, they say the plastic bowl works on the video so I used it for a small batch of IMBC and was amazed at how fast they whipped up and how much volume they had. Butttttttt, be sure to wipe it out with a white vinegar solution before you put the egg whites in just to make sure all of the grease is cut; some habits never die!

Colleen

Posted: 16 July 2010 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-06-27

Coleen, thanks for the information on speeds.  I have the older model which has only 3 speeds, but I think speed 2 probably is equivalent to 3 on your mixer.  Do you use the wire whips for cakes?  I noticed Bosch now makes what they call batter whisks, which are for heavier batters, as well as cookie paddles which look more like the Kitchenaid paddle. 

Carolyn

Posted: 16 July 2010 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-17

I use the wire whips for mixing, cakes, creaming and most, the paddles for cookie dough or tough stuff, the wire whisks for egg whites and heavy creaming and the dough hook for dough. I’ve tried using the paddles for creaming butter and sugar but found they cream too much- almost to the melting point with butter. I’ve used them for cream cheese too but the jury is still out on that one. I had to make a xxx sugar frosting for something and used the paddles and ended up with mush. It’s kind of a learn as you go thing. I’ll look in the book tonigh and see what they recommend for what. I also found that things mix faster so watch your timing.

Colleen