Problem with raisin bread in bread machine
Posted: 04 March 2008 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-02-21

Hi all

I have been making a standard raisin bread for a month in my Williams Sonoma machine.  All went fine until it didn’t.  My loaves now come out with many air holes in the crumb of the bread and the taste is “different” than it was before.  The recipe is from Beth Hensperger?s book on bread making.

Can anyone suggest what I could be doing wrong?  I don’t believe that I changed anything.

Mark

Posted: 15 October 2009 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Did you change any of your ingredients, such as the brand or type of flour?

Posted: 17 November 2009 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-11-17

I don’t bake my bread in my bread machine.  All of my recipes are used on the dough cycle and then I transfer the bread dough to a loaf pan or whatever type of pan I’m using and let it rise again and then bake it in the oven.  As for raisin bread, I soak my raisin in the amount of water that the recipe calls for (I use hot water that has come to almost a boil, add the raisins and let them soak for 5-10 minutes.  Let the water cool back to the temp for the bread and use the raisin water for the dough.  Then add the strained raisins at the correct time.  This gives you a softer raisin for your bread.

Posted: 17 November 2009 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15
Crotonmark - 04 March 2008 09:20 PM

Hi all

I have been making a standard raisin bread for a month in my Williams Sonoma machine.  All went fine until it didn’t.  My loaves now come out with many air holes in the crumb of the bread and the taste is “different” than it was before.  The recipe is from Beth Hensperger?s book on bread making.

Can anyone suggest what I could be doing wrong?  I don’t believe that I changed anything.

Mark

Sorry I can’t answer your bread question Mark… just wondering if your machine came with many recipes.  I have one from WS that is a few years old, but the recipe book only came with a hand full of recipes.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 18 November 2009 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I’m with Matthew—I’d start looking at your ingredients—have you recently purchased new flour, or yeast, or even used different water?

Also, does this happen every time, now? If it was just a one-time thing, you might have made a mistake in measuring. If it’s all the time, most likely it’s ingredients or something different about how you’re making it.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

‹‹ Yeasty Corn Bread      Panettone Pan ››