1 of 2
Wedding cakes - Yellow cake/IMBC/MMF
Posted: 15 July 2010 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-01-07

Hello all, I just attended a wedding for my wife Becky’s friend Kelly that we baked the cakes for.

The couple set up their reception inexpensively and had selected people bring a nice selection of food. We got cake duty. She didn’t want a big tiered traditional wedding cake, but instead requested something very colorful. I was kind of intimidated that Becky had signed me up to do a wedding cake, and spent a lot of time thinking about what to do. I settled on two cakes, each made up of three 9x2” layers, frosted with buttercream. Sounded relatively easy and I knew I could do it. The cakes are downy all-occasion yellow cake, modified according to the excellent posts on power of flour. I used cake flour with a blend of whole eggs and yolks, whatever was leftover from making IMBC plus whole eggs to make up the rest.

I thought I would do it all in buttercream with piped flowers on top, since I had great results with buttercream flowers on my daughter Violet’s birthday cupcakes (pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/holly.gates/VioletS3rdBirthdayParty#). It seemed like a good idea to do IMBC since it has a reputation of holding up to heat better than other types, and the wedding was in unconditioned space in mid July. I’ve made IMBC a few times now, and I’ve got it so it works, but it always curdles and needs a tremendous amount of whipping when first making it and also when rebeating. Also, let me tell you it is not easy to do big cakes with lots of piping in buttercream when your kitchen is high 90s and humid!

So after a long day of striving to decorate one of the cakes, which involved a zillion trips in and out of the fridge, wiping condensation off, chilling cones of frosting, etc., I was stunned to find that it looked awful. The flowers looked almost as good as they did when they were on cupcakes, but on the cake they just looked bad. I think the cupcake is a nice platform for the flower and gives it a discreteness and elevation that makes it look good. On the cake it just looked like a mishapen mish mash. I filled in between flowers with dark green leaves, which was part of the problem. The colors were not working together at all, and the textures were all wrong. It looked like a gaudy discount funeral arrangement. My wife, housemates, and some friends staying with us at the time all agreed it looked bad. There was no way we could show up with these cakes.

Becky had been trying to convince me to do fondant from the start, but I resisted because the one time I had tried to fit fondant on cylindrical shapes I ended up with a lot of creases at the bottom. Plus I had good luck with the buttercream decorations on the cupcakes. But now the buttercream was clearly having issues, so I decided to try fondant and whipped up a couple batches of marshmallow fondant. Becky did some mock up cakes in Illustrator to get some shapes and colors that looked good and I kneaded in colors to the fondant. Then I cut the flowers off the top and covered with fondant.

Overall the fondant was great. Easy and fun to work with, and my 3.5 year old daughter could help me too. I still had some wrinkles at the bottoms of the cakes, but it wasn’t too bad and was mostly concealed by ribbon. One cake was for Kelly and one for Doug, with one piece of ribbon wrapped around both and joining them. Transport was a little tricky but went pretty well with the cake bunk bed I built to fit them in a cooler with cold packs and dessicant. Each cake had a bamboo skewer running from its shelf on the bunk bed up through the round and most of the way through the cake to prevent them from sliding around.

The cakes were received well and there was plenty for all the guests. Both cakes got big bubbles under the fondant at some point along the way, but I didn’t bring anything to pop them. The cake was delicious, except the fondant. But I didn’t mind seeing fondant peeled off on all the party plates. Now I think of it as cake rind. Does its job making the cake look attractive and keeping condensation down and interior moisture up, but then can be removed before eating.

My pictures, including the failed buttercream flowers cake:
http://picasaweb.google.com/holly.gates/KellyDougSWedding#

Image Attachments
IMG_1368_2.jpgIMG_1350_2.jpgIMG_1378_2.jpg
 Signature 

http://tooling-up.blogspot.com

Posted: 15 July 2010 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

First, I must say, Violet is a first class cutie!!!  Congratulations on such cute, and no doubt equally sweet, little daughter!

Second, Holly Bleeping Bleep!  Those flowre cupcakes!  You PIPED that?  You are a wizard.

Third, ditto on the piped flower cake.  I mean, it’s gorgeous.  However,

Fourth, your fondant cakes are masterpieces of color and simplicity (of appearance, of course, not execution, I’m sure).

So beautiful.  Truly amazing!!!!!

Posted: 15 July 2010 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hmmmm…..my post I just put up isn’t showing.

I’ll try again, just adding my question—what is IMBC?

Thanks!!!

—ak

Posted: 15 July 2010 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2008-01-07

Thanks Anne!

IMBC = Italian Meringue Butter Cream = Mousseline Buttercream

Violet is a real cutie and she loves to help in the kitchen. I actually made a little test cake to make sure I could do the fondant, and to let her do more of the decorating. She was pretty excited. We took it to a 4th of July BBQ. One pic included here, others here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/holly.gates/Q32010#

The other daughter (Millie) is getting awfully cute these days too, but she’s not old enough to do much more than nibble on fondant scraps.

-Holly

Image Attachments
IMG_1269_2.jpg
 Signature 

http://tooling-up.blogspot.com

Posted: 15 July 2010 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

The other daughter (Millie) is getting awfully cute these days too

You are so right!

she?s not old enough to do much more than nibble on fondant scraps

Those were the days, eh?

Posted: 15 July 2010 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Beautiful cakes, Holly!  Love seeing all the pics of your family (such cute girls) and of the wedding.  I also thought the piped flower cake was pretty. smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 15 July 2010 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Showed the pics of your cuppies and new cakes to my hub—they fractured his brain.  He thought you might be Northern European.  He’s an art historian, and you know, those Northern European artists are, well, let’s just say they’re known for getting some serious detail in action!

Posted: 16 July 2010 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07
Anne in NC - 15 July 2010 04:54 PM

I’ll try again, just adding my question—what is IMBC?

I was just about to ask the same thing red face

Posted: 16 July 2010 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Holly Gates, your cakes and cupcakes are amazing! Are you a professional baker? Your daughter is totally adorable. It is so nice to get the chance to see her

Posted: 16 July 2010 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

MJ, Holly did answer your question, above, perhaps your post was delayed by the site being down yesterday and showed up after his answer.

IMBC is Italian Meringue butterceam, which in the Cake Bible is the Mousseline bc.

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2010 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Your cakes are so pretty!  I know the bridge and groom and guests must have loved them!  You’re inspiring me to try my hand at fondant one of these days…

Posted: 16 July 2010 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Julie - 16 July 2010 04:58 PM

MJ, Holly did answer your question, above, perhaps your post was delayed by the site being down yesterday and showed up after his answer.

IMBC is Italian Meringue butterceam, which in the Cake Bible is the Mousseline bc.

I re-read the posts and still don’t see a reference. It’s okay though..the cakes sure look professional.

Did I mention I was blond?  smile

Posted: 17 July 2010 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27
missyjean - 17 July 2010 12:43 AM

I re-read the posts and still don’t see a reference.

It was Anne in NC who said something about her post not showing up.  Perhaps Julie was referring to her question, rather than yours?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 17 July 2010 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I was referring to the eighth post in this thread, where it appears that both Missy Jean and Anne are asking for an explanation of IMBC.  Holly explained IMBC in the fourth post in this thread.  Did I miss something? (entirely possible) smile

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2010 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 17 July 2010 12:35 PM

I was referring to the eighth post in this thread, where it appears that both Missy Jean and Anne are asking for an explanation of IMBC.  Holly explained IMBC in the fourth post in this thread.

I didn’t read MJ as asking about IMBC, I read her as saying she had been about to ask before Anne asked.  I didn’t infer that she was still asking.  That’s why your post puzzled me when I first read it and I deduced that you were actually referring to Anne’s post, who remarked about a previous post not showing up and reposted her question. 

Whew!  If this were like some forums I visit, we could spend days analyzing the meaning of one post.  grin

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 17 July 2010 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Yes, I can be very confusing..think what my husband must go through LOL

1 of 2