1 of 3
Two Quick Bread Issues
Posted: 17 July 2010 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I have never had this issue before.  My quick bread has wings. I *think* this might be a result of using a heavy hand on the Baker’s Joy button.  I made the Many Splendid quick bread from RHC.  It is delicious but mine came out with wings..I know the cakes are Heavenly but…..

Also…

I have been having an issue with the corners of the Apple Crumb Quick Bread recipe from TBB. Within the past few days I have made 3.  The corners are breaking off. I *think* this might be happening because I am putting the apples all the way to the end of the bread and feel it might not happen if I left an inch on both sides

Does anybody know how to remedy these two issues?

Thank you

Image Attachments
IMG_4330.jpgIMG_4332.jpg

Posted: 17 July 2010 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

MJ, could it be that there is some batter being spread up the sides of the pans (above the height of the batter) when they are being filled?  Is the batter pretty flat in the pan after you fill and smooth it?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 17 July 2010 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

I don’t know. I will look for that the next time I make it.

Thank you Julie

Posted: 17 July 2010 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Within the past few days I have made 3.

I would assume that this is a very delicious cake/bread!!!!

Posted: 17 July 2010 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

They were both delicious.  One was the apple crumb, from TBB,  which is very similar to the recipe you made in the springform pan. The other is the Many Splendid bread in RHC. Have you ever made it Anne? I thought it would be the kind of bread that needs cream cheese or something else to give it moisture and flavor..not so at all. It is delicious on it’s own but would also be great with an accompaniment. BTW, this bread rose higher than any bread I have ever baked before. 

The reason I baked 3 of the same bread is because my husband’s step dad passed away on Thursday and I brought a bread to my mother-in-law’s house for her and her company.  Also, my husband’s father is coming to our house for the weekend from his home in Oregon.  He is staying with us.  I have the apple crumb bread and the many splendid bread for him and I am probably going to bake my first layer cake this weekend…the carrot cake with cream cheese frosting from RHC.

Posted: 17 July 2010 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

The other is the Many Splendid bread in RHC. Have you ever made it Anne?

I haven’t, but I will have to try it, since you say it’s so good, and I get the feeling you know a good quick bread when you see one!

Sorry to hear about your husband’s stepdad.  Condolences to him.  I hope you enjoy your time with his dad…and I know you’ll be thrilled with your first layer cake!  What fun!!  Looking forward to hearing all about it, Missy!

Posted: 18 July 2010 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

I served it to my father in law, who is staying with us for the weekend. He is from the days where they ground their own flour.  He had this bread for breakfast with cream cheese this morning.  He said he could “live off” that bread and said it was a real hearty, tasty bread.

It is not cakey but it makes a nice snack without cream cheese on it.

WE have a family reunion today.  I am bringing a slice for myself because I usually don’t partake in the pt lucks people bring (because I watch my fat intake)

Posted: 18 July 2010 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

He said he could ?live off? that bread and said it was a real hearty, tasty bread.

What a nice compliment!  Congratulations!  Have a great time at the reunion, as well!

He is from the days where they ground their own flour.

I recall my mother’s stories of killing and plucking her own chickens (in the city, mind you) and using cow’s brains in the homemade ravioli so they didn’t go to waste.  I’m sure it was all quite tasty, but I would personally prefer a middle ground between this and what we have today!

Posted: 18 July 2010 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

My father in law has similar stories.  To this day he raises and butchers rabbits. He did have goats but stopped butchering them.  and, of course, he has chickens and eggs.

It is a nice compliment and I must include Rose in the recognition too. I could not have done it without her.

I am making another Many Splendid Quick Bread tomorrow to send home with my father in law

Posted: 18 July 2010 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I have a friend who just got some chickens, but she says when one dies, it’ll get buried in the yard.  “Can’t eat a critter I’ve met,” she says.

Posted: 20 July 2010 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

That’s how I feel.  Does she get eggs from them?

Posted: 20 July 2010 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Julie - 17 July 2010 01:12 PM

MJ, could it be that there is some batter being spread up the sides of the pans (above the height of the batter) when they are being filled?  Is the batter pretty flat in the pan after you fill and smooth it?

Julie, I baked the Many Splendid Quick Bread again, so my father in law could take it home with him.  I sprayed the pan, as directed, but wiped a lot of it off.  Still, I has some curling of the ends, but much less than last time.

I made sure there was no batter on the sides. 

I think it might be due to greasing the pan too heavily.

Also, do you think the shape of the pan is contributing? I am using the Baker’s Secret 8x4 pan, which has rounded edges

Posted: 20 July 2010 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

MJ, I can’t think of any reason why rounded edges would contribute to your “wings”, but if the sides are more sloped than usual (i.e., not vertical), that might encourage it.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 20 July 2010 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

I don’t know either. I baked 2 banana breads today ( another author’s recipe) and did not have that issues BUT that author’s breads never rise..Hmmmm….can the rise be pushing some of the batter up the sides?

Posted: 20 July 2010 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Does she get eggs from them?

She will—they’re babies yet.  I currently get eggs from my other friend’s father’s chickens, but soon I’ll be buying fab eggs from both of them!  They’re all different chickens, so I’m curious to see if the eggs will be different at all.

I wish I could contribute to this cake-wings issue, but I haven’t a clue.  Maybe if I shut up about chickens, the wings will go away!

Posted: 20 July 2010 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

LOL

It is so cool you have them as fresh egg sources.  I love fresh from the farm eggs and with Rose giving the weights of eggs (something I have never seen in any other recipe book) you don’t have to worry about the size of the egg.

The only time I don’t like fresh eggs is when I have to hard boil them. My brother in law gives us his fresh eggs at times and I have such a hard time peeling the shell from a boiled fresh egg.

1 of 3

‹‹ Portugese rolls      Filled Brioche Buns ››