Making and using Hawaiian Coconut syrup
Posted: 17 July 2010 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2010-01-24

We loved the coconut syrup we had in Hawaii last February. I brought several bottles back with me but I’m coming to the end of my supply.  Does anyone know how to make similar tasting coconut syrup?  Also, has anyone used it on, or in, any cakes?  Does anyone know where in Canada I can buy it?  I live in the Toronto area.

Posted: 17 July 2010 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Which brand did you buy? There must be a way to make it but Amazon carries a coconut syrup. I don’t know if it is the one you are looking for but perhaps a goggle search might find it for you. 

I hope this helps, Heidi

http://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Coconut-Syrup-case-6/dp/B0038NFRJK]http://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Coconut-Syrup-case-6/dp/B0038NFRJK[/url]

Posted: 17 July 2010 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-24

Thanks. I hadn’t thought of checking Amazon. I checked out the link and that is the same brand I have. I did sign up to be notified when it becomes available.  However, I would like to find a local supplier if possible or maybe be able to make my own.  Then again,  I suppose I could just go back to Hawaii to pick some up…now that would be a great excuse wouldn’t it?  grin

Posted: 18 July 2010 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

That works for me wink  Actually, I think it is in stock at this location

ttp://www.abcstores.com/browse.cfm/4,70.html

Of course, it would be great to make it yourself

Posted: 18 July 2010 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I saw the ingredients listed for one brand are:

INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, WATER, CREAMED COCONUT (DESICCATED COCONUT, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, SODIUM METABISULFATE), MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SALT, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM BENZOATE

This person sounds like they came up with a good version, minus the preservatives

http://mattbernier.blogspot.com/2007/08/coconut-syrup-recipie.html

Posted: 18 July 2010 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3130
Joined  2010-04-25

This person sounds like they came up with a good version, minus the preservatives

A spirited blogger, to be sure! A definite member of the “what-I-think-about-everything club,” a rather bizzare institution, and one into which I was born and raised.

Posted: 19 July 2010 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

oops, didn’t actually read the whole post, didn’t realize there was a mini rant at the end smile

Posted: 19 July 2010 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-24

Thanks Matthew that looks like a recipe that might work. I’m going to try it this week and let you know.

Posted: 20 July 2010 12:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-01-24

Well, I tried the coconut syrup recipe today from the mattbernier blogspot.  It did not work for me.
It tasted more like a vanilla sauce than coconut. I like the intensely coconut flavour the purchased one has.
The texture was also quite different. It was more velvety smooth. Almost like a cream sauce.
I didn’t have the brand coconut milk he suggested so maybe that makes a difference.
I also didn’t like the brownish colour it ends up having. Doesn’t look as appetizing. That was the problem with some of the others I found on the internet too. 
I was hoping that Hector might have perfected a version of this syrup.  Of course, living in Hawaii, he wouldn’t actually need to make it when it is so readily available to purchase there.

I will keep searching. As a last resort I will order from Amazon when it becomes available…if it’s not too expensive.

Posted: 20 July 2010 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3130
Joined  2010-04-25

Heidi, there are some raw food places on line—rawguru.com, naturalzing.com—and they sell coconut cream, which is nothing but coconut butter (coconut ground to a creamy paste like peanut butter).  This would be much firmer and more coconutty than the strained coconut milk and woud probably work well in the recipe instead of the coconut milk.  It’s different than the cream de cocoa you buy in the mixers section fo the grocery store because it has none of the additives, but you might be able to use this as well in the recipe.

Posted: 20 July 2010 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Sorry it didn’t work out to your liking. He did make it sound good, but you never know until you give it a shot.