Lemon Cake with White Chocolate Ganache - Advice Please
Posted: 19 July 2010 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-07-19

Hi there,

I am so pleased that I found this site - bakophile heaven!

This weekend I am making a christening cake and I’d appreciate some advice. The cake will be a two tier (11in, 9in) lemon sponge, with a lemon and limoncello liqueur soaking syrup, filled with a white chocolate ganache and covered in fondant icing. I tested the cake recipe this weekend and am now slightly worried about using ganache as I wonder if it will remain firm, especially if the weather heats up. When I made the ganache I used 3x white chocolate to cream (35%) and added a few drops of lemon oil - it tasted lovely, but took an age to firm, even after I put it in the fridge. It has now set firm (in the fridge), but I’m now doubting its stability for when I split, fill and stack the cakes, especially as the cake will need to be at room temperature for 1-2 days. Should I avoid using this ganache or would upping the amount of chocolate do the trick?
Any advice that you could give would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

C

Posted: 19 July 2010 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, cupcake!

There is a recent post where someone asks a similar question, and the consensus is that as long as the temp is below chocolate’s melting point, you should be okay.  I’ve not made a white chocolate ganache, but a dark 1:1 ganache I recently made was soft but completely stable at room temp from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm—not exactly two days, but I think if it were going to fuss, it would do so in that time period.

I’m sure someone here will be able to answer your exact question definitively, though!

Your cake sounds lovely, and I hope when you complete it, you’ll post pics and tell us all about it.

Best to you, and welcome!

Posted: 20 July 2010 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-07-19

Hi Anne,

Thanks for taking the time to reply - I appreciate it. After searching the forum I feel far more confident that my ganache will be fine - actually I left it out all day yeasterday and it softenend but held its shape.

I’ll let you know how it turns out.