MagiCake strips on deep pans
Posted: 19 July 2010 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-07-19

I am thinking about ordering some cake strips, but I notice that they are only 1.5in in depth. Here in the UK we tend to use deeper pans, so I was wondering two things: a) would it affect the cake if I used a single strip or b) would it be better to ‘double up’ and use 2 strips placed one on top of the other? I did make some strips using wet paper towel and foil, but they didn’t work as well as I had hoped.

Thanks smile

Posted: 19 July 2010 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

The cake strip only needs to equal, more or less, the height of the batter, not the over-all height of the pan. I have used cake strips on spring-form pans, which are high, and they are still effective. I also use homemade strips of foil and paper towels with good results. Perhaps your paper toweling was not wet or thick enough. Hope this helps.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 19 July 2010 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

Hi Cupcake,

Most of my pans are 2” and I use one cake strip per pan.  If I use a 3” pan, I would need two cake strips.  When I used a 12x2” pan, I used 2 cake strips, end to end.  I think if you wanted to rig up your own cake strip, you would probably want to use a wet, cloth, dishtowel to insulate the pan.  Natalie

Posted: 19 July 2010 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

The cake strip only needs to equal, more or less, the height of the batter, not the over-all height of the pan.

Thanks, Kathleen, this is really helpful info!

Posted: 19 July 2010 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-07-19

Thanks for all the advice - seems like the strips would be an excellent addition to my growng baking batterie and maybe even an excuse to buy more pans! The pans that I currently use are approx 3” deep and I tend to fill the pan about 2/3 of this height. As for the diy strips, I did use only a single thickness of paper towel, although it was folded 3 times - if I try the technique again I’ll thicken it up and see how it goes.