Problem with flat cupcakes
Posted: 22 July 2010 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-07-22

I have been baking for years (more than I care to admit) and usually with excellent results but I cannot get my cupcakes to dome beautifully.  The recipe doesn’t seem to make a difference or how full I make the cups.  When I look in the oven they seem nicely domed but when I take them out they go flat.  They test done and look and taste done.  Any suggestions of what might be my problem?

Cincy Baker hmmm

Posted: 22 July 2010 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2010-06-12

Sounds like not enough structure. Perhaps you could slightly decrease the leavening or beat the batter just a bit more. What recipe for cupcakes are you using?

-Patrick

Posted: 22 July 2010 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, to what Patrick said, less baking powder might help, longer mixing, and also a higher oven temp.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 23 July 2010 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Higher oven temp I would bet…however…I like my cupcakes flat…I then but a big swirl of butter cream on the top.  I actually worked for several months, tinkering with temperature and recipes and amounts of batter until I could get a perfectly flat cupcake that would rise right to the top of the paper liner!

Posted: 23 July 2010 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-22

Thanks for your replies.  Since it doesn’t seem to matter what recipe I use, I’m guessing my oven is not hot enough.  I will try a higher oven temp or check my oven out.  I’m still open for any more comments you might have.  At least if it is the oven that would fix all the recipes. wink

Posted: 24 July 2010 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-04
Cincy Baker - 23 July 2010 12:31 PM

Thanks for your replies.  Since it doesn’t seem to matter what recipe I use, I’m guessing my oven is not hot enough.  I will try a higher oven temp or check my oven out.  I’m still open for any more comments you might have.  At least if it is the oven that would fix all the recipes. wink

OTOH too high a temp can also cause quick rising/doming and then deflating as they cool. I love Rose and her recipes and I’ve used her Downy Yellow Cake batter for cupcakes for as long as I’ve had my cake business, with consistently perfect results—perfect crumb, perfect dome.  But I have to say that since moving to a new country, I’ve never gotten it to work. They always fall flat. I tried everything. Figured it must be the flour. I don’t have a business anymore and now I use different recipe for vanilla cupcakes.

Posted: 24 July 2010 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-06-12
momof4boys - 24 July 2010 05:54 PM

OTOH too high a temp can also cause quick rising/doming and then deflating as they cool. I love Rose and her recipes and I’ve used her Downy Yellow Cake batter for cupcakes for as long as I’ve had my cake business, with consistently perfect results—perfect crumb, perfect dome.  But I have to say that since moving to a new country, I’ve never gotten it to work. They always fall flat. I tried everything. Figured it must be the flour. I don’t have a business anymore and now I use different recipe for vanilla cupcakes.

What country did you move to? Maybe we can figure out what kind of flour you need!

Posted: 25 July 2010 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2008-03-04
patrickcolvinmusic - 24 July 2010 06:03 PM
momof4boys - 24 July 2010 05:54 PM

What country did you move to? Maybe we can figure out what kind of flour you need!

Thanks! I moved to Indonesia. APF and cake flour here are unbleached and hard. 12% protein for APF and 8% protein for cake flour.

Posted: 25 July 2010 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-06-12

Have you read any of the posts on this site about “Kate flour”? I bet if you heat-treated the cake flour before using it, it would work perfectly.

Posted: 25 July 2010 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2010-05-21

i had that problem, if you want it to dome nicel, after you fill the cupcake liners let them sit there for 20min then put them in the oven….. it has worked for me! i think rose put that tip in, in either the cb or the rhc book! good luck

Posted: 27 July 2010 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-22

I checked my oven temp and it is correct.  I am baking my cupcakes @ 350.  Since I have the problem no matter what recipe I use and my oven is correct I assume my problem must be how full I am filling the cups.  So I checked to see how much the scoop I use is etc.  “BakeWise” says the cups should be 2/3 full which she says is 1/4 to 1/3 cup of batter.  When I checked my cups 1/3 cup of water filled the cup almost to the top.  Isn’t that too full?
Yesterday I made some cupcakes using a oil based cake and filled the cups almost full.  The cupcakes came out with very high domes.  Do you think the oil based cake made the difference?
Thanks for the tip about letting the batter sit for 20 min I will have to try that with the other recipes.  Obviously I don’t need to with the one I used yesterday.  grin

Posted: 27 July 2010 06:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-21

yes i think you filled it way to high, and yes with oil base it would rise more, however, regardless u did fill it too high, i usually use a ice cream scooper and that seems to work for me, u can also try to put one tablespoon at a time and figure out they amount that way and always use that method, it will be consistant, i just fill it so there is about 1/2 to the top. its trial a error,  hope that it works, let me know!

Posted: 27 July 2010 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Since you have Bakewise, I think you can look up Shirley’s recommendation for muffins, which is to bake them at a higher temp (higher than 350F) in order to get them to dome.  Your oven temp is probably accurate, it’s just that raising it above 350F can help with doming. 

And yes, letting the cupcakes sit out before putting them in the oven is basically the same as reducing the baking powder.  You can search that over on the blog.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 07 August 2010 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-22

Thanks everyone for your help.  The last batches I made were domed like I like them.

Posted: 08 August 2010 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-21

good to hear Cindy!