Soaking syrup and cupcakes?
Posted: 25 July 2010 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2010-07-25

I’m making a wedding cupcake tower, and wondered about soaking syrup: do I need to use soaking syrup on cupcakes to make them moist, and if so, what’s the best technique for applying the syrup?

I’ve used a pastry brush to apply syrup to cake layers, but brushing 100+ cupcakes seems like it would get messy.

Thanks!

Posted: 26 July 2010 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

I brushed 240 wedding cupcakes last summer, using a brush. The cupcakes were on cake racks, with cookie sheets underneath to catch drips.  This was in New Mexico, with a very dry climate. The cupcakes were made 3 days before the wedding, not refrigerated, but well sealed in zip lock bags, which were then stored in large plastic containers in a cool room. After being transported to Durango, Colorado—also a very dry climate—they remained wonderfully moist and tender.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 26 July 2010 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-25

Fantastic, thanks! I like the idea of not refrigerating, too… my storage space is somewhat limited. I appreciate the help!

Posted: 27 July 2010 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I apply the syrup with a syringe.  I use a large syringe that is made for injecting poultry.  Much easier and faster than brushing and you don’t loose any syrup in the brush…and you can easily control how much syrup is going onto each cupcake…Hope this is helpful.

Posted: 26 August 2010 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-25

Thanks for the input! My update: I started out with the cupcakes on racks and used a silicone brush to apply the soaking syrup. I got frustrated fast and wanted to use a syringe, but didn’t have one.

Then I got the bright idea of calling the local pharmacy. They gave me a small syringe that is used for squirting medicine into a baby’s mouth. It holds 1 t, just enough to moisten a cupcake. I injected each cupcake in 1-3 site(s). It went fast and made almost no mess. I can’t tell yet if the cupcakes are evenly moist; at the initial tasting, the syrup hadn’t distributed evenly, but I let them sit and I’m going to taste them again tomorrow.

Posted: 26 August 2010 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

If the results aren’t what you’ve hoped for, I’ve read in TCB that, rather than injecting the cakes with syrup, she doesn’t use the plunger at all, and instead, she shakes the syrup out of the syringe onto the cupcakes.  So that’s an option for next time.

Posted: 26 August 2010 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-07-25

Rats! I knew I should have checked out more info on the syringe technique. I’ll cross my fingers for tomorrow’s tasting and will report back.

Posted: 08 September 2010 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

If I am in the Northeast USA…and am making cupcakes about two days ahead of time, will I need to use syrup as well?  What chocolate cake recipe works best for this?

Posted: 08 September 2010 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, I think you might want to syrup them, little cakes dry out more quickly than larger ones.

I like the chocolate fudge cake in the Cake Bible, but I’ve also been wanting to try the chocolate butter cupcake in RHC.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 11 September 2010 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

I use a baby’s sipper to sprinkle on my cakes, the ones kids use to drink water and juice frm..it has 3 small holes from which water runs easy but can be controlled.