1 of 2
Wedding cake - Chocolate Oblivion and Cordon Rose Cheesecake
Posted: 26 July 2010 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

This wedding cake was a bit of an adventure, not for me but for hubby who is my hero now! I got stuck on a business trip and had to stay an extra day and then had a 4 hour delayed flight, which put me into SFO 43 hours before the wedding - and since both cakes need time cooling I enlisted my husband as apprentice. I don’t think he’s ever baked before grin

It all went well, though the chocolate oblivions he baked were 2.5”, and he baked them until the internal temperature reached 150 F, which turned out to be the crumbling point of the upper half of the final product. Learning: If you need a thick chocolate oblivion bake two and put them on top of each other - which is what I did with the 12” layer, joined by a thin layer of chocolate ganache - that one came out perfectly.

I used the white chocolate ganache, and I learned much:
- Different white chocolates will make the ganache behave differently. This time I used Aldi’s white chocolate, and there was never any fear it would curdle, even though - see next point. Last time I used Guittard white chocolate slabs, and I was always on the edge and had to watch it closely. No problems at all with Aldi’s chocolate. Husband is already trained to raid the Aldi stores each time he’s on an East Coast trip. Both contain cocoa butter, but the Guittard is much whiter and much harder. Must be some other ingredient that does it, perhaps more lecithin?
- If you must make the white ganache when it’s warm in your kitchen do it in an ice water bath, otherwise you’ll be beating it to death, which, with some white chocolates can be a curdling death.

Same with chocolate bands - if Rose says do it in a kitchen below 72 degrees she means it. I did most of them early in the morning, no problem, but then ran out of chocolate, and the kitchen was at about 75 when I did the last one. It still worked, but I had to wait a lot longer, and the chocolate wasn’t quite as stable, resulting in a slight crumpled look. Nobody noticed, though, except me.

I have to say that chocolate bands are the way to go for tiered cakes: You only need to roughly slab the frosting on, no need to make it perfect, a real time saver, at least for me. And the tiers are easy to handle, you can use a spatula and then support with the other hand when putting them on top of each other.

It was funny, a couple at our table was talking about the cake, and how beautiful it looked, and how she watched the people putting it together, not knowing it was us. It was the best compliment of the day!

Image Attachments
IMG_1060.jpgIMG_1056.jpgIMG_1044.jpg
 Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 26 July 2010 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  768
Joined  2007-11-15

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your cake Slke! The bands are so gorgeous, I think you are very clever.  Are they easy to do?

Posted: 26 July 2010 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Talk about impressive! Absolutely beautiful Silke.  I have always admired your chocolate work but, this is something else. Congrats to you and your helper (DH).

Posted: 26 July 2010 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Silke, your cake is just gorgeous! Good to know about the Guittard. I’ve been using mostly Guittard since its available in bulk at some of the local stores, but have also found the Green and Blacks on occasion. Not in the quantities you’d need though!

Posted: 26 July 2010 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks everybody, it was a much more relaxed baking than the last wedding cake I made. Plus hubby helped not only with the cakes, but also with the stacking and whenever I needed a hand.

Jeanette, to me the chocolate bands are a hundred times easier than trying to get the frosting to behave, as long as it’s cool in the kitchen, or you at least have a cool surface to work on. And you have the added bonus that the tiers are very easy to handle. I think I’ll talk all the future wedding cake recipients into chocolate bands. Found a very cool looking one on Martha Stewart’s website: http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/chocolate-cakes-chocolate-kumquat-cake And o.f course there is Emma’s cakes in South Africa - she makes the most amazing chocolate band cakes: http://www.emmascakes.co.za/wedding-cake-gallery.htm

Loopy, the Guittard works beautifully for the chocolate bands, it’s much more resilient than the Aldi chocolate, which starts melting as soon as you take it in your hands. Plus I get it dirt cheap for $3.99 / lb. You don’t need much white chocolate for the ganache, 3 oz per 8 oz cream, which is enough to frost an 8” cake I think.

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2010 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh my, this looks so good! The chocolate bands and berries are gorgeous!

Posted: 26 July 2010 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Silke, what a wonderful job!!!!  So elegant and beautiful, and with the surprise of a rich chocolate interior.  Perfectly dreamy, I wish I had some now, sigh.  smile

Thanks so much for sharing those links, very inspirational.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 26 July 2010 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks Matthew and Julie! I’ve put more pics and a description on my blog. I can’t see cake anymore now, give me a good old steak grin

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2010 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

Silke, your cake looks fab!!!  and, thank you for sharing the link

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 26 July 2010 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  339
Joined  2009-01-22

That is absolutely stunning, Silke! I love the presentation you set up for this one. I’m sorry it was so stressful for you, but I’m glad your husband was able to help you out and that things worked out so well for you. Nicely done!

You mentioned you had to wait a while for the last chocolate band to cool. Most likely my kitchen will be below 72F. How long does it take for the band to cool to the temperature needed to wrap it around the cake?

Thanks for posting your pictures. That’s an amazing cake!

smile

Posted: 26 July 2010 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

so glad i bumped into this.  silke, this is GREAT!!!!!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 26 July 2010 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

I love it! I love how chocolate bands melt in your mouth when you bite in also.

Posted: 27 July 2010 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Silke! Absolutely stunning.  Amazingly gorgeous.  Just brilliantly beautiful.

Posted: 27 July 2010 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Great Job!  Congrats!

Posted: 27 July 2010 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Oh WOW! Silke, these are absolutely GORGEOUS! Love the whole look, very elegant and stunning! And I ADORE your chocolate band! You make it sound so easy!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 July 2010 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks to all of you. I have to say I was a bit proud, but I am also proud of the bride and the groom who both pulled their lives back together after horrendous times, and grew strong together. It was a low key wedding, and I was happy to make them a much nicer cake than they would have had otherwise.

Monsieur: You’ll see when the chocolate hardens, the exact time probably depends a bit on the chocolate, and also on the countertop material you have. Just don’t hasten it. As long as you’ll have a cool kitchen and warm hands you’ll be fine.

Jenn: The solid bands are much easier to work with than the swirly ones, they break so easily. And both are much better than smoothing out buttercream into perfect Patricia-shape.

Signature 

1 of 2