pan replacement, baking ingredients and conversion
Posted: 28 July 2010 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-06-10

Hello guys!

I’ll be making some cookie bars for a friend of mine this coming friday and i have a little problem. I’ll be making these bars on a 8x12 rectangular pan and i would be cutting them 1.5x1.5 inches, this would probably yield me about 40 pieces of 1.5x1.5 inch bars with few little scraps at the side right?. The problem is…i need 90 pieces of the bars and making 2 batches of the recipe (that would yield about 80pcs) would not suffice the 90pcs i need, so this means i need to bake another batch more (on the 8x12 pan) yeilding 40 pcs more am still. Then that would give me many leftovers right?....Ahh…mathematics really makes my head burst. My problem now is…Can anybody help me how can i be able to get the 90pcs mark without(or maybe less) of leftovers? Should i just half the recipe? and if i halve it up…what kind of pan should i use then?

Also…in cutting in half the ingredients on recipes….one of the recipes i will be making needs 3 eggs….Now i dont know how to cut half 3 eggs? anyone knows? what is the half of 3 eggs?

And…is this right?—> The half of “1/3 cup” IS “5tbsp + 1tsp”?

Lastly…can you guys share a good link or website for conversions? i am really having a bad time with numbers and its really not a friend of mine…hehehe! if u know a website that converts and measures especially in baking…kindly share…thanks!

Well..i hope to hear from someone soon!

Thanks and Godbless u guys!

Posted: 29 July 2010 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27
jehuty - 29 July 2010 02:33 AM

Now i dont know how to cut half 3 eggs? anyone knows? what is the half of 3 eggs?

The easiest thing to do is weigh them.  Three standard large eggs should be 150 grams, so 1/2 that is 75 grams.  (mix them together thoroughly first, though.)

That’s what I get.

i am really having a bad time with numbers and its really not a friend of mine…hehehe! if u know a website that converts and measures especially in baking…kindly share…thanks!

Scaling recipes is very easy once you get used to weighing your ingredients, rather than using volume measurements.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 29 July 2010 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3126
Joined  2010-04-25

Rather than making them 1.5 x 1.5 and getting 40, just cut them 9 bars x 5 bars and get 45.  They’ll be rectangles, but you’ll easily get 90!  And personally, I would leave the edges, as there are lots of “crusty edge” fans out there you don’t want to dissappoint!  I’m one of them, for sure!!

Good luck!

Posted: 29 July 2010 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4737
Joined  2008-04-16
jehuty - 29 July 2010 02:33 AM

One third of a cup is equal to 5.33 tablespoons (16 T in a cup, so 16 / 3 = 5 1/3).  Half of that would be 2 2/3 T or 2T plus 2t. 

Lastly…can you guys share a good link or website for conversions?

Invest in a scale and use recipes that give weights (or convert them), then it’s much, much easier.  More acccurate, too.

Yes to what Charles said, beat the eggs first then take out half an egg (about 2T or 25g).

Yes to what Anne said, just cut the bars so that you get more out of each pan.  Leave the edges.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 29 July 2010 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3126
Joined  2010-04-25

Invest in a scale

Ditto this for sure!  My scale only cost me $25 at Sur La Table, so it doesn’t have to be expensive.  I absolutely love mine!

Posted: 29 July 2010 06:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

Me too. I couldn’t imagine baking without it anymore.  I have back-up batteries because I’m afraid I will lose power in the middle of baking

Posted: 30 July 2010 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2010-06-10

Thanks for all the replies guys! smile

more power and Godbless always!