Devil’s Food Cake / Poured Brownie Frosting
Posted: 29 July 2010 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-03-13

I have a recipe uses a devil’s food cake mix, a whipped-cream filling, and is frosted with what my family refers to as ‘poured brownie frosting’ - where you heat milk, butter, and sugar and then stir in chocolate chips. I haven’t made this in probably a year or more, and have three recipe conversion goals:

1) I would like to convert away from the “cake mix” after-taste,
2) I would like to make this into a roll instead of a layer cake, 
3) the frosting always seems too sugary to me - not necessarily too sweet, but too grainy.

For the cake, I’ve been reviewing the sponge cake recipes in TCB and am wondering which is closest to taste like Devil’s Food Cake - Genoise au Chocolat, Moist Chocolate Genoise, Fudgy Genoise Jeffrey, or Chocolate Cloud Roll. I think that the Fudgy Genoise sounds the most similar to devil’s food, but I’m worried about baking it in a roll. Does anyone have any experience making any of these as a roll vs. a layer cake? Since Rose uses the Chocolate Cloud Roll in her Christmas Log, I’m pretty sure it will work; just wondering about the other recipes.

For the frosting, I’m debating between a ganache and (cooled) hot fudge sauce. I’m worried that since the original frosting recipe is pretty sweet, a ganache won’t be right. On the other hand, I’m worried that hot fudge sauce won’t set up, and would remain sticky. I would appreciate ideas.

I should probably add that I’m not a dark chocolate fan, so it needs to be sweeter than that.

Thanks,
Mary

Posted: 29 July 2010 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

It’s great that you’re moving away from mixes and grainy frosting- tastier cakes will result!

I have made a number of chocolate roulade cakes, and the thing is, in order for them to roll without cracking, you probably need to use a recipe designed for that.  Although you’re on the right track with sponge cakes, it would be safest to keep to a roulade-style cake, of which there are three in the Cake Bible.

I recommend and love the chocolate cloud roll.  This pretty much tastes like a chocolate bar.  I usually include the optional toasted almond flour, because I like the texture and the added complexity of flavor.  The cake is not overly sweet. 

As for the frosting, I would use the either the dark ganache or the light whipped ganache.  It is easy to dissolve some sugar in the hot cream before making the ganache to sweeten it up to your taste. 

You may want to look at the chocolate yule log in the showcase section, which sounds a lot like what you’re making. 

Good luck, hope you post a picture smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 29 July 2010 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3149
Joined  2010-04-25

Julie, could she also add corn syrup or golden syrup to the cream instead of dissolving sugar or would that do something funky?

Posted: 29 July 2010 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Because of the water content, it would be safest, if one wanted to add a syrup, to reduce some of the cream to balance the liquid.

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2010 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-13

Thanks for the ideas.

I’m still waffling on which recipe to use for the cake. As Julie suggested, I will probably go with one of the recipes that are baked in the jelly roll pan; I’m scared of the ones with so little flour, but I guess I have to trust Rose!

What is the general opinion on using semi-sweet or even milk chocolate in a ganache instead of bittersweet?

Mary

Posted: 29 July 2010 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Because of the water content, it would be safest, if one wanted to add a syrup, to reduce some of the cream to balance the liquid.

Many thanks!

Posted: 29 July 2010 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

What is the general opinion on using semi-sweet or even milk chocolate in a ganache instead of bittersweet?

I would think that if you want the sweeter taste, this should be fine.  The one thing that is possible—and Julie or someone more experienced would probably know for sure—that the “lighter” chocolates are also less stiff, so you might want to use slightly less cream or you could have a ganache that’s a bit creamier than you might want, but my offhand guess is that this would be more or less fine.

Posted: 30 July 2010 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, I’m with Anne.  Sweeter varieties of chocolate have higher sugar and lower chocolate liquor (liquor=unsweetened chocolate mass).  To preserve the right consistency (for ganache), ideally the liquor should be constant, then you can change the sugar as needed.  You can do that either by using a sweeter chocolate (but use more or reduce the cream, so that the liquor:cream ratio is constant), or by keeping to the chocolate called for and then just dissolving additional sugar in the hot cream.  Either way, you’re shooting for the same thing:  the right ratio of liquor to cream, plus an amount of sugar that suits your needs.

You can also reduce the intensity of the chocolate by dilution.  That is, use the light whipped ganache, which has a higher ratio of cream to chocolate, or use a buttercream, which is also less intense than dark ganache.

Signature 

Posted: 30 July 2010 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-13

I’m actually thinking of using the lacquer from RHC. Just looking at the ingredients, it looks like it would be sweeter than a ganache. Am I correct?

Posted: 30 July 2010 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I haven’t made the lacquer in a while, but I don’t remember it being very sweet.  It is gorgeous, though! 

If you’re looking for a sweeter chocolate frosting from RHC, how about the one paired with the chocolate covered strawberry cake?  Or a chocolate buttercream (mousseline, neoclassic or the chocolate-egg white bc).  Not sure about the egg white bc, but with the hot sugar syrup buttercreams you can just add the same quantity of a sweeter chocolate, without worrying about consistency, etc.

Signature