Favorite Chocolate Cake?
Posted: 29 July 2010 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2010-06-07

I got a request for a chocolate cake.  I have never made one before.

Any suggestions for cakes that are not too involved?

Thank you grin

Posted: 29 July 2010 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

check “The cake bible” and look at “Chocolate Spike”  It is the chocolate fudge cake and frosted with a milk chocolate buttercream.  I do have better icing recipes…but they are, indeed, much more involved. 

Good luck!

Posted: 29 July 2010 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thanks Bill. I just checked it out. the cake looks easy. I don’t have the milk chocolate for the buttercream frosting and I wanted to start it.

What about the genache?  Is that easier to make than the buttercream?

I was looking at the banana stud cake.

How does that compare?

Posted: 29 July 2010 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

I just made the genache (for the very first time)!!! That was easy..Rose is such a good teacher.  The hardest part was cleaning up afterward.  I hope it is supposed to look like My-T-Fyne when it comes out of the processor. If so, than I did it right. If not…  big surprise

Now there is one teeny problem…the person I am making it for likes sweets and the genache is definitely not.  Is there anything I can do to sweeten it up as I don’t have any more chocolate?

Posted: 29 July 2010 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

You could add a layer of dulce de leche!  That stuff is sweet and delicious!  Or you could also add a layer of German Chocolate cake filling!  Both are in RHC.  Or you could fill it with custard a la Boston Cream pie.  Good luck, Missy, I know it will be delish!!

p.s.  My favorite chocolate cake—but only because it’s the only one I’ve made so far—is the Devil’s Food in RHC.  It is totally wonderful!

Posted: 29 July 2010 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m with Bill, I love the chocolate fudge cake.  If you re-melt the ganache, then you can add/dissolve extra sugar.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 29 July 2010 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Anne in NC - 29 July 2010 08:43 PM

You could add a layer of dulce de leche!  That stuff is sweet and delicious!  Or you could also add a layer of German Chocolate cake filling!  Both are in RHC.  Or you could fill it with custard a la Boston Cream pie.  Good luck, Missy, I know it will be delish!!

p.s.  My favorite chocolate cake—but only because it’s the only one I’ve made so far—is the Devil’s Food in RHC.  It is totally wonderful!

Anne, I am not making the layer cake and now it is too late to make it because I don’t have all the ingredients I need :(

P.S. just re-checked the recipe and I DO have the ingredients for the cake but not the buttercream frosting.  I have dark chocolate that is 70% cacao can I sue that and can I use milk chocolate candy bars in it?

Posted: 29 July 2010 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Julie - 29 July 2010 08:52 PM

I’m with Bill, I love the chocolate fudge cake.  If you re-melt the ganache, then you can add/dissolve extra sugar.

I didn’t bake the cake until late this afternoon because I waited for the ganache to come to room temperature.  By that time my husband was home and I asked him to taste the ganache to see if it wasn’t sweet enough for him.  He almost went into a coma as he tasted it. his eyes rolled back.  I thought I would have to give him CPR.  HE LOVED IT!!!! He thought it was perfect the way it was.

I had butter on the counter, trying to get it to room temperature incase he didn’t like the ganache..then I would have made the milk chocolate buttercream frosting.

I didn’t decorate the cake as pretty as everyone else here does but I will work on that.

Bill, next chocolate cake I make will be the spike cake you recommended

I also learned something today…chocolate makes a big mess LOL  but it was worth it

Image Attachments
37857_146751832003331_100000055459245_436659_4258163_n.jpg61483.jpg

Posted: 30 July 2010 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Looks great.  sorry I didn’t respond soon…I was away from the computer.  The reason I recommend the milk chocolate butter cream is because it is easy.

If you want a challenge…my absolutely favorite chocolate cake is the chocolate fudge with “Bill’s buttercream”.  Make one recipe of mousseline butter cream (from the cake bible) and add 8 ounces of melted semi sweet or bitter sweet chocolate and 1/3 cup (30 grams) of sifted cocoa.  Not easy…but delicious

Posted: 30 July 2010 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

Thanks Bill..I hope to make that soon. I nave not made mousseline yet but as long as my husband is willing to eat what I make, I will be forging ahead grin

Is Bill’s Buttercream named after you?

Posted: 30 July 2010 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations, MJ, on a successful and beautiful cake!  Glad your husband liked it.  Mine is also a fan of chocolate… :)

My favorite chocolate cakes always involve booze (cognac, gr marnier, rum, etc.) and light whipped ganache.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 30 July 2010 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07

The person I made the cake for loves booze too.  I should have included that ...  But I must say the ganache was rich and delicious.  I never had that before.  I now know ganache cannot be in the same house with me tongue wink

Posted: 30 July 2010 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

He almost went into a coma as he tasted it. his eyes rolled back.  I thought I would have to give him CPR.  HE LOVED IT!!!! He thought it was perfect the way it was.

Now, that’s the kind of enthusiasm one loves to receive and hear about!  Many congratulations!

I now know ganache cannot be in the same house with me.

p.s., if you have extra, you can freeze it, but beware—you can dig it out with a spoon and eat it frozen.  It’s delicoius that way, too!!!!

Posted: 31 July 2010 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-07
Anne in NC - 31 July 2010 02:04 AM

He almost went into a coma as he tasted it. his eyes rolled back.  I thought I would have to give him CPR.  HE LOVED IT!!!! He thought it was perfect the way it was.

Now, that’s the kind of enthusiasm one loves to receive and hear about!  Many congratulations!

I now know ganache cannot be in the same house with me.

p.s., if you have extra, you can freeze it, but beware—you can dig it out with a spoon and eat it frozen.  It’s delicoius that way, too!!!!

Oh no! I should not have known that LOL  It was really, really hard not putting my fingers in it all day. that is really delish!

Thanks Anne..my husband is not a chocolate lover but he really liked this cake.  I promised the lady I made it for that I would make her another one real soon. Next time I’ll make the one Bill recommended

Posted: 18 August 2010 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Oh Missyjean,  your pictures are making my mouth water.  Was it the banana chocolate stud cake that you made?  Sound like your cake was an instant success.
Sometime, you do have to try Bill’s buttercream recipe.  I used it for my son’s birthday cake and it was delicious.

Posted: 22 December 2012 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-08-16
Bill - 30 July 2010 01:32 PM

Looks great.  sorry I didn’t respond soon…I was away from the computer.  The reason I recommend the milk chocolate butter cream is because it is easy.

If you want a challenge…my absolutely favorite chocolate cake is the chocolate fudge with “Bill’s buttercream”.  Make one recipe of mousseline butter cream (from the cake bible) and add 8 ounces of melted semi sweet or bitter sweet chocolate and 1/3 cup (30 grams) of sifted cocoa.  Not easy…but delicious

Bill,  how do you incorporate the cocoa into the finished butter cream ??  dissolved into the melted chocolate first , or sifted into the cream before or after the chocolate??  thanks