questions about buttercream and syrup variations
Posted: 06 March 2008 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-02-26

Hello everyone,

I read on a thread here somewhere about modifying Italian buttercream with fruit puree.  (I think I saw it when I followed a link from this forum to the Bon Appegeek blog—a strawberry puree infused buttercream.)  Does anyone here know how to do that, and does it mean you have to refrigerate the cakes up until serving time?  If you cover it with fondant, will it keep longer?  (I have a long drive to the wedding.)

Also, syrup.  Rose has a recipe for a syrup base, but I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions for types of syrup flavors that work best, or produce a particularly good combination, with the white, yellow, and chocolate butter cakes in TCB.

Thanks!

-Amy

Posted: 06 March 2008 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I love Rose’s stawberry and raspberry purees mixed with her buttercreams.  The directions are in TCB.  I think the storage time remains the same, but check TCB to be sure.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 07 March 2008 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-02-26

Oh good!  I must have missed it…I’ve been looking through it.  (But I’m also preparing for a visitor this weekend, so I’m sure I haven’t been focusing.)  I’ll check it out.

Posted: 07 March 2008 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Now that I have a few more minutes - the raspberry and strawberry puree recipes are found on pages 337-338.  I have tried the microwave method twice and my mixture has boiled over both times (yes, I used the 4-cup pyrex glass measure suggested), so I prefer the stove top method (be sure to use a heavy bottomed pan). 

For the buttercream variations (page 233), add 1/2 c of puree to 1 batch of finished Classic or Neoclassic Buttercream (both have a slightly yellow tint, so adding pink puree makes the finished color a bit orang-ish, so I much prefer to add the pink purees to the much lighter colored (whiter) Mousseline Buttercream).

You’re going to love the flavor variations!!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com