M&M’s and cookies
Posted: 30 July 2010 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  918
Joined  2009-01-04

does anyone know if u put m&ms; in a cookie (well, on top) and bake it, wil they come out w/ the M&Ms; in the same spot??
that probably makes no sense…..ok, I am thinking of making cookies w/ M&Ms;, but instead of just mixing them in, making a dough ball, flattening it out a bit and then laying the M&Ms; on top in the shape of baseball lines. I am wondering if i baked them, if they will come out looking like baseball cookies lol.  or maybe iam crazy

Posted: 30 July 2010 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1034
Joined  2007-11-21

I think it will work.  It depends on the cookie dough though…some doughs get very soft in the oven and spread a lot.  I think I would set them up on the cookie sheet, and then refigerate them for a while before baking to minimize the spread.

Posted: 19 August 2010 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  963
Joined  2009-05-25

Although it’s heresy to mention this on the site (jk), replacing some of the butter with shortening will also minimize spread.

Posted: 05 August 2014 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  642
Joined  2007-11-27

the M&Ms; could shift a little during baking as the dough rises (even if there’s no spread) so maybe it’s better to put them on after baking if the decoration is important; or if they move during baking, you can just say the batter hit the ball really hard and knocked the lines off kilter LOL wink

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 10 October 2015 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1695
Joined  2011-02-17

I have made a large chocolate chip cookie with M&M’s sprinkled on top prior to baking many times. It is actually a family favorite. The cookie was delicious. The M&M’s adhered to the top without noticeable shifting.

The recipe can be found in The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook (Rose has a recipe in that book http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2012/02/the_gold_standard_of_cast_iron.html#.Vhkyhdb_FFI  )

Here is the recipe:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/giant-cookie-pan

Ingredients

1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips
Assorted M&M’s or sprinkles

Preparation
1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
2.  In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat both sugars and the butter until smooth. Beat in the vanilla. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir well with a wooden spoon. The dough will be stiff. Stir in the chocolate chips.
3. Spray a 10-inch cast iron skillet with cooking spray. Pat the cookie dough evenly into the skillet and decorate the surface with M&M’s or sprinkles. Bake until the edges are lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
4. Remove the skillet from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Cut the cookie into 16 wedges and serve it directly from the skillet using a pie server.

Image Attachments
giant-cookie-in-a-pan-oh-x.jpg

Posted: 10 January 2016 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2016-01-01

Where their exact location is important I’ve had more success in adding them mid way through baking (not ideal of course or easy). Otherwise you will get slight movements as others have mentioned. Might have to try Flour Girl’s recipe instead!

Posted: 23 January 2016 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1695
Joined  2011-02-17

It’s a very easy recipe. It’s baked in a cast iron pan. I never noticed any issue with the M&Ms;

Posted: 06 February 2016 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2016-01-27

M&M recipe can be a pretty satisfying. I love M& M Cookies.These cookies are mini all around and incredibly tasty.Easy to make.

Thanks

Cookie Gifts

Signature 

http://www.cookiesfromhome.com